New Build - 3 Monitors - GPU Guidance

HuntGunSky

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Looking for guidance on a new build for GPU driving 3 monitors.

I have done a ton of research on this forum. I may be trying to split the atom a bit much here.
I will be getting into 3 monitor gaming. I play just about everything with a big title. First person shooters, RTS, Strategy, RPG.

These are the 3 monitors I am fairly certain I am going with.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWFNMJS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1WXVZRGIJKNX5&coliid=I2XRI2MUQEFUTL

Benq - 1080p 27" display

I will be getting a 5820 3.3 CPU - This CPU gives me the ability to upgrade to an extreme edition in 2 years for an affordable price. (I looked at 4790, amd, and others) I am fairly committed on this topic now.
8 or possibly 16gb of ram (not sure yet)

So my big issue now is GPU. Nvidia or AMD. (1 or 2 cards) to drive these monitors. My gut suggests going with the 960 4gb and being able to upgrade later to either another single card (titan) OR an additional 960. I lean toward Nvidia since I have had both in the past.

I have heard about issues with multiple cards (on both vendors) and I want to maximize my time to play, not screw around with patches & fixes.

Will I be able to drive these 3 monitors well? Anyone have any experience on Frames per second I can achieve? I can always turn down resolution if required for future apps to keep performance up but would love to see some serious detail.

Solution
Yes, generally speaking that card would fit the bill great. And if for some crazy reason you find that it doesn't meet your needs, you can either upgrade or SLI another one.
(You could SLI up to 3-way with a GTX 970. (Check Motherboard compatibility and PSU requirements.))

Check the video inputs on your monitors, and make sure you have the right video outputs on the card you buy. Some manufacturers mix around the various ports, HDMI, DVI, dSub(VGA), DP, etc.

HuntGunSky

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Thanks Xivilain. I had written a large write up and lost it when I clicked submit. No idea how... I have updated the above since and I had read that article already...

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Thanks for updating.

For triple 1080p gaming with high FPS, I'd recommend a GTX 970 4GB. It supports up to 4 displays, with a max resolution of 5120x3200. You wouldn't be hitting that maximum with three 1080p monitors, but that's the point, if you want higher FPS for gaming. If you were just web surfing or working on three screens, you could get away with a much cheaper video card.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

P.S. Stay away from the GTX Titans... as cool sounding as they are, they are not worth the money for your needs.

HuntGunSky

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
I love the 970 4gb choice! I hate saying the following because it is so full of general terms that make people nuts on the forum but here we go. Would a Single card be good enough for most general "ack I said general" gaming purposes on a fairly substantial detail level? Titanfall, Dragon age, Borderlands, etc.

I look at it this way, if it really is too slow, I can go and buy another in a year and SLI it (or upgrade to a new one).

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Yes, generally speaking that card would fit the bill great. And if for some crazy reason you find that it doesn't meet your needs, you can either upgrade or SLI another one.
(You could SLI up to 3-way with a GTX 970. (Check Motherboard compatibility and PSU requirements.))

Check the video inputs on your monitors, and make sure you have the right video outputs on the card you buy. Some manufacturers mix around the various ports, HDMI, DVI, dSub(VGA), DP, etc.

Solution