Best card for two 4K monitors for CAD usage

Mr_Spock

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Looking for advice on the right graphics card. My work is engineering CAD, not gaming. Mostly PCB layout, simulation graphing, and spreadsheets. My PC is a Dell OptiPlex 920 (4th gen i7 with Q87 MB, 24GB of RAM, SSD, PCIe x16 (one full height slot), Windows 8.1 (will jump to W10 when its out), and 300W power supply).

I currently have one 4k monitor (Sharp PN-K321 via display port) and two HD monitors running off the built-in Intel HD4600. While problem free its quite slow and jerky when moving parts around on a PCB. Ideally I'd like to add another Sharp 4k. So the ideal card will support two 4k monitors via DP with the two HD monitors using the internal HD4600. Again, this is NOT for gaming use.

I'd like to spend less than $500 if possible. The GTX 970 seems like it might do the job, but not sure.

So my questions are:
1) What card would you recommend? If you think there is nothing on the market yet, that's an ok answer. Some guidance on when this might be available would help.
2) Can I get by with my 300W power supply? I really don't want to change this out. Again, no gaming.
3) Are there versions of the GTX 970 (or whatever) with 2 display port connectors?
4) How noisy will this card be in my usage scenario? I have a very quiet room, so fan noise is undesirable.

Thanks.

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Solution

TRENDING THREADS