Civ V on Alienware Alpha?

captainkoloth

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
I've been thinking of getting an Alienware alpha and one of the things I'd like to do is stream Civ V in 1080p to another computer on my home network (long story, ends up making sense). Has anyone either played civ v on an Alienware alpha in 1080p or tried streaming it? I'm specifically interested in whether I can do this with the basic i3 model ( can shell out for the i5 or i7 but don't want to unless I really need to).

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014

the alienware alpha I saw at Walmart had an i3 and 4 gigs of ram for 500 dollars, build a pc imo...

Unless you're using an Nvidia Shield, I don't know how you're going to "stream" Civ 5 to another "computer" on your network.

That being said, an Alienware alpha won't really have any dificulty running Civ 5 at 1080p, you just might not be able to run at max settings, and lategame the turns can take a bit longer.

ninjustin

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

Steam?

In my experiance Steam streaming quality is more based off your network than anything else. If it will play on your host machine then streaming isn't typically that much more intensive.

I can guarantee that the i5 should have no problems streaming from the Alpha to another PC. i3 should it does support Intel Quick Sync Video for the video encoding and decoding. If you were streaming to the Alpha or just playing games straight on it then I'd say get the i3 because the cost benefit isn't really there and it will play Civ V no problem. The i3 is like $200 cheaper I'd definitely give that one a try first.