Can someone help me choose RAM that I can add to what I already have?

vertigoelectric

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I currently have the following RAM installed:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-4GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231449

What I want to do is get more RAM, but not have to replace what I have. I still have 2 slots available on my motherboard. However, I know I shouldn't mix RAM sticks that don't match up in specs. I was wondering if someone would be willing to make some suggestions for me. I'm not entirely sure what has to match and what doesn't.

This is actually closely related to my previous post:

(http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1646779/16gb-ram-kit-msi-890fxa-gd70-motherboard.html)

Except this time instead of replacing my current RAM I'm looking for something I can add. I think that makes a lot more sense.

The simplest thing is buy some more of exactly what you have. Though that was probably a kit, GSkill will be happy to tell you what modules of theirs will work.
If you want to try some other brand then you need to match the speed (DDR3 2133 PC 17000) and the timings ( a number similar to 10-10-10-25, just so you can see how it looks - those aren't actual timings that I know of), and sometimes memory chip density ie. how many memory chips on each side of the RAM sticks.

vertigoelectric

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013

Oh. Yes, of course. Although I forgot to mention that I don't know if I can still get the same thing that I have because of how old it is. I will contact GSkill, though.

Thanks.

I did a little research, not much,and found a couple 8GB kits (2x4GB) at Newegg, but none with the exact timings as yours. GSkill can, hopefully, provide you with some more insight as to what will be compatible.
You might have to go with a 2x4 set up, then you would end up with 12GB; from a quantity standpoint I don't see a downside. It just has to all work together.

vertigoelectric

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013

I appreciate your time.

I sent GSkill a message asking if there's a way I can get another of the same kit I have. We'll see what they say. If that kit is no longer available, we'll have to find something with the same timings... or I may have to replace my RAM after all.

TRENDING THREADS