best way to connect a dvi monitor (also with d-sub) to a vga port on pc?

coltaz

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
i've bought a new pc which i'm connecting to my old monitor. the monitor has a dvi lead (single) but the pc only has a vga socket for the monitor. a dvi-vga adaptor hasn't worked. do i need 1. a dvi-vga converter (digital - analogue) 2. a vga cable to the d-sub port on the monitor or 3. a new vga monitor thanks.

Solution
*facepalm*

uh, does that d-sub port on the monitor look like it would match the 15pin VGA port of your Lenovo? same size and shape and number of pins? if it does, and you have a cable for it, give it a whirl! worst case nothing interesting happens.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
first, your title is misleading as it says that your monitor has both dvi AND vga (d-sub). but since you have only dvi on the monitor side and only vga on the computer side, i'd say spend the $10 on a graphics card. if you just need basic simple desktop use, any cheap simple graphics card that has a dvi output would work (eh, assuming you can physically install one into your machine)

what's the machine? pics? ever taken the cover off to see what you have inside as far as space and connection options?

coltaz

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Lenovo E50 Desktop, Interfaces :4 USB 2.0, USB 3.0, handset, microphone, serial port, RJ45, VGA, 3 audio, PS/2. its a cheap tower i got yesterday for £150. it doesn't have hdmi or dvi. apart from audio, ethernet and usb its only got vga. would a vga lead fit in the d-sub port on the moniter? its a viewsonic monitor with dvi and d-sub ports. i'd rather not open up the back and mess with things as it will invalidate the warranty and i may need to return it to ebuyer if it proves to be an internal fault

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
*facepalm*

uh, does that d-sub port on the monitor look like it would match the 15pin VGA port of your Lenovo? same size and shape and number of pins? if it does, and you have a cable for it, give it a whirl! worst case nothing interesting happens.

Solution

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
good to have it working! FYI -- you can still make use of that DVI connector if you have another computer. your monitor should let you switch inputs (kind of like a TV), so you can always connect another computer or laptop to that.

sucks that the monitor didn't include a VGA cable, though... they're quite cheap and common, and I have a small stockpile of VGA and DVI cables from all the monitors I've bought.