Looking for the right memory combo

Giwrgos Tsaousis

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
Hi , i mainly play games on my pc . mid range gaming rig and i have only 2x2 1333 kingston memory i have a budget about 120$ so what it whould be best to ugrade to 4 x 2gb kingston 1333 and ssd or 2 x 4gb kingston 2133 without ssd?? i know that i wont be able to upgrade anymore than 8gb but thats not a problem . what is the differnce on 1 build or the other ?
thank you in advance.

Giwrgos Tsaousis

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

oh sorry ! i got a asus p8p67-m mobo and gtx 660 graphics card !

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
With your budget, I don't think you can get an SSD that will improve your game play any, although you could get a small SSD for your OS for faster boot time. IMO, that benefit isn't nearly as much as getting some more RAM.

I would suggest this $65 2x4GB RAM for you to replace your old RAM. Or, with your mobo, you could put the new RAM on the second channel (RAM on different channel does not have to be the same).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

You could then think about squeezing in a lower end SSD (which is still a great improvement over HDD) for $88

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226679

On the SSD, you'll not want to bother with anything less than 250-ish GB. Much less and you'll only be able to load your OS on to it. With 240GB, you'll at least be able to put some games on it for faster area load times, etc.

Also, you might be able to find these products elsewhere for a little less to get closer to your budget.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I'd look to a 2x4GB set, so you'll be sure to have 8GB...and for information purposes the info provided above is incorrect and doesn't make much sense..

"you could put the new RAM on the second channel (RAM on different channel does not have to be the same)"

First thing - there's no guarantee the two sets of sticks will even play together. The implys they both will play and will be fine. The second thing is as described, you would have a total of 4GB in one channel and 8GB in the other channel which would be unbalanced (when (again - if they even play together), and result in running 8GB in dual mode and the odd 4GB in single channel. IF, again, IF, both sets of DRAM will play nice you'd want 4GBsticks in 1-3 from CPU and the 2GB sticks in slots 2-4 from CPU, giving you 6GB in each channel and all running dual channel.