Resolution set too high monitor blank

mitodabadee

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015
Running on Win 8.1
ATI 7750 HD graphics
I set the quality too high for my monitor now I can't see anything when I turn the computer on.

Solution
You should still be able to see the boot screens. If you can't see anything at all then your problem is not the resolution set in Windows 8.1.

Pressing F8 or Shift+F8 during boot may allow you to access Safe Mode. Failing that you'll have to get hold of a recovery/installation DVD or USB stick. Or find someone with a better monitor that will let you plug your computer into it for long enough to reset the resolution.

But how on earth did you manage to set an unusable resolution? Normally the procedure for changing resoultion is failsafe; you have to confirm the new resolution before it takes effect. Are you absolutely sure that this is the problem?

mitodabadee

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015

How do I boot in safe mode if I can't see what I'm doing?

McHenryB

Admirable
You should still be able to see the boot screens. If you can't see anything at all then your problem is not the resolution set in Windows 8.1.

Pressing F8 or Shift+F8 during boot may allow you to access Safe Mode. Failing that you'll have to get hold of a recovery/installation DVD or USB stick. Or find someone with a better monitor that will let you plug your computer into it for long enough to reset the resolution.

But how on earth did you manage to set an unusable resolution? Normally the procedure for changing resoultion is failsafe; you have to confirm the new resolution before it takes effect. Are you absolutely sure that this is the problem?

Solution

mitodabadee

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015

I was messing around with the settings on the driver disc then it went blank, I waited and it never reverted!

TRENDING THREADS