I7 950, temps over 120 then system shuts down completely

philipmigi42

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Hi all,
I decided to clean my pc this morning, I took out all the components apart from my CPU and motherboard, then put everything back. I switched my pc on but the screen was all in red lines and computer switched off and I kept switching it on a few times but the same outcome.

I reconnected everything again and it turned on just fine but switched off after a couple of minutes. It kept switching off after couple of minutes every time i switched it on since. I was looking for different solutions but with no success.

I then went to bios settings and basically when I start the pc it shows CPU temps to be at 94 Celcius and going up to about 120 Celcius within 2 mins and the system shuts down, I mean as if the power went off-completely. I tried reconnecting the cooler sink (intel stock cooler) and it clicks in the locks fine and seems working fine.
Do you think my CPU is faulty??
My set up:
Intel i7 950
Radeon HD 6950 2GB XFX
Chieftec 650W
RAM 8Gb Geil
Gigabyte X58 USB3

I tried taking the BIOS battery out, starting it up with different GPU, disconnected DVD burner and then turning it ON. Same problem.

Did you use new thermal paste when you reassembled the CPU cooler?
I HATE those pushpin things, they seem to lock down properly when they're loose!
The only way I've got them the work reliably is to use the rubber tip of a pencil to push down on the heatsink legs THEN push down on the pushpins.

philipmigi42

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Tbh it was a bit of pain to push the pins back in but I managed and it looks fine and stable to me, buuuut I did't clean the paste, neither apply a new one:/ I'm gonna try that next , thanks

If the paste is still soft you can remove it with the CPU in place, a paper kitchen towel moistened in alcohol or a cleaning solution will shift it easily enough, just wipe from the outside in to prevent the stuff spilling out and into the gap between the CPU and socket/frame.
If it's gone hard you'll really need to take the CPU out and use a credit card to gently scrape the old stuff off, finishing with a rub with that kitchen towel and cleaning solution the get all the old stuff off.
It's very important to get both the CPU and heatsink totally clean, even a pinhead sized piece left behind will prevent them making good contact and you'll be back where you started from.
Only hold the CPU by its edges or corners, don't touch the tiny little gold plated contacts and if you still have some compressed gas, give the socket and CPU contacts a little spray with it prior to assembly.
Don't use too much paste, a thick layer actually forms a barrier to heat transfer, many suggest either using a thin bead running across the CPU top or a single dollop about the size of a large grain or rice roughly in the middle then spread it out using a credit card to form a nice, even film.
I've quite large hands and find it difficult to get them into a PC case and spread the goo out evenly over the CPU while it's in place so use a variation: Apply the paste to the heatsink-you'll be able to see where the CPU makes contact- and again, spread it out using a credit card.

DubbleClick

Admirable
Different reviews state different things. Some say pie method gives you 1c less, others say spreading gives you 1c less. We're talking about 1-2c at most anyway, unless done extremely incorrect.

Somewhere I missed a bit.
Like I said, I tend to put the stuff on the cooler base then spread it out, that's because my cooler is an old Hyper 212 Plus, and that particular cooler has direct touch heatpipes, so it's essential to get the goo into the little gaps this type of assembly creates, guessing how much is needed for a spot/line nearly impossible.
The spot/line technique is best for coolers with flat bases.

DubbleClick

Admirable

Getting personal isn't all that necessary, I'd say.
Even if they are quipping or ironic, since that is a video on a channel meant to guide (or well, misguide in his case) people who're unclear and seek advice, it's bad to show things wrong. And it doesn't change the fact that what he said is wrong, either. Overheating because of spreading the thermal paste can simply not be the case without overheating when using the pie method or any other for that matter, too.

Tek syndicate is bad. That his benchmarks are faked or inconsistent is a fact, as well as that he's showing improper application of thermal paste in this case. There is literally nothing good about the whole channel except for getting a proper laugh about people's stupidity who believe him while thinking they're into the topic.
And since this is a forum which is mainly used by people having questions, posting videos of this channel should be avoided for any matter. Instead link to anandtech, tom's hardware, tweaktown, overclock3d, ocaholic, or many other sites who continuously prove to get reasonable (and logical) results out of benchmarks and reviews, instead of doing quite the opposite in absolutely every case.

yoda419

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
If I were you I would throw away the cpu cooler and get a after market one like hyer 212 evo and put on that thermal paste and there you go. Promise your computer will be able to handle it. It wont run into many heat issues from there.