computer won't POST with mouse plugged in

farmkid

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I have two computers in my home. One is the main family computer that I built a few years ago (Windows 8.1 Pro) and the other is an older Dell (Windows 7 Home Premium) that my kids use for homework. They both developed what seems to be the same issue yesterday.

The kids computer would not turn on. It would get partway through POST and then stop and beep. I removed various components thinking it was a software issue, and it began working when I unplugged the receiver for the wireless keyboard and mouse. Once it booted without that I could plug it back in and everything worked normally. Also, the problem seems to be resolved. It now boots normally with that receiver plugged in.

Fast forward to this morning. The main computer was shut off for the night as usual, but this morning it would not boot. It stalled with a screen stating that it was resuming from hibernation. I unplugged the hard drive trying to force it to not try to resume from hibernation, but it was the same. Apparently that screen was put in the BIOS by Windows. I cleared the CMOS and the normal POST screen showing the memory test came back, but it still wouldn't boot. It finally booted when I unplugged the mouse. Like the other computer, after it booted once with the mouse unplugged everything was back to normal.

So, I don't need to get it to work now, but I would like to figure out what's going on here. Any ideas? Could I have some sort of virus that resides in the BIOS or something?

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Odd that you would have the same issue on 2 different computers. Check your USB hub for errors in device manager. You may need to reinstall the drivers in case they are corrupted. Turn off hibernation in your power options if you don't want to use it. Other methods of shutdown can cause errors so try to avoid them if possible.