Would a DisplayPort (Male) to VGA (Female) Adapter Work For My GPU?

Rhoomesie

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
I have an Asus r9 290 Directcu II that does not support VGA but my monitor is VGA. Would an adapter work?

adavid

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

should work, but since you have a 290 and a monitor that doesnt support DVI, you should really consider upgrading your setup.

JasonL265

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
I use an Displayport to HDMI cable myself (for second duplicate display to my TV) and I have used DVI to VGA adapter on my Cousins Computer. The Displayport to HDMI works perfectly, though both are digital signals. For the DVI to VGA adapter I noticed some afterimage issues, but I'm not sure if its due to drivers, monitor or the adapter.

Generally I do not like to use VGA connections cause they are kinda dated.

Rhoomesie

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

my set up is good i just have an old monitor

Rhoomesie

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

would this one work? the link to the one you sent me wont open
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-DisplayPort-Male-to-VGA-Female-Adapter-/221475966847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3390ff0f7f

or is this one passive not active?

Rhoomesie

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

would this one work?

At that price, I am guessing it is a passive adapter.

Some hardware is designed with both digital and analog in mine. In fact DVI-I ports for instance are build to do either digital or analog(It would be the same as having a VGA port on the card) so any after image issue is the screen or its cable. As for displayport to HDMI, it depends on the hardware. Many of these devices can use a passive DP to HDMI adapter, but AMD when they first started to add DisplayPort to cards said active adapters are needed if you want to use 3 monitors on a card(talking 5xxx cards when they started this).

DVI -> HDMI can be done with a simple passive cable upto 1920 x 1200 @ 60hz on almost any hardware and higher if both sides can handle the increased link speed. Even audio can be passed from DVI on some hardware.

DVI-D -> HDMI with audio.
a3o3r8.jpg