Problem with picking my new monitor

vhv89

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Hello, i want to order a new monitor this week. I live in the UK and i know that the prices varies comparing to the US but hopefully with your help i will be able to find what im looking for. Last year i built my new pc and it has got an i7 cpu, 780ti, 2x4 ram, 120gb ssd, z97 mobo so its rather top spec. Im looking for the same from my monitor. I hope to get the best gaming performance, crisp and smooth picture quality. 27inch is what im looking for. I also watch alot of films in HD. Ive been reading some stuff about monitors, but there are so many of them out there and im not really a big expert here either. Although Ive read some good reviews about Asus, Acer, Benq and viewsonic. Which monitor would you recommend? My price range is £450-550, but i wouldnt mind if its cheaper. Then i could upgrade some other parts. If not its still good, all i want is the best monitor possible.

Solution

To answer your questions, I will break it up for you.

1. What is G-sync?

G-sync is a Nvidia based technology that requires an Nvidia card to utilize it. What G-sync does is it "synchronizes the monitor’s refresh to the GPU’s render rate, so images...

vhv89

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Thanks for pointing some monitors out. I noticed that the first two have g-sync feature. How does it impact actual gaming performance or overall performance?
The acer seems to be very cheap considering that its 27inch and has got gsync. Is it only because its 1080p monitor?
The asus looks really good and ive came across some reviews about it before(all of them very positive). The price is high but if this will do the job right i can go for it. Im still new to gsync though.

To answer your questions, I will break it up for you.

1. What is G-sync?

G-sync is a Nvidia based technology that requires an Nvidia card to utilize it. What G-sync does is it "synchronizes the monitor’s refresh to the GPU’s render rate, so images display the moment they’re rendered. The result: Scenes appear instantly. Objects are sharper. Game play is smoother." What this fixes is the unwanted repeated frame issue, this results in smoother motion even when your fps drops. For example, while you are playing your game and your fps drops to 30 - 40 fps. G-sync will automatically start matching the frames to your monitors max refresh rate making it the drop smooth and you won't realize that it even happened, it may also reduce screen tearing. So does it help gaming wise? I would say yes most definitely.

For more information on this:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/review-nvidia-g-sync-makes-your-pc-games-look-amaz/1100-6424349/

2. Why the price difference?
While the ACER offers some features that ASUS monitor has, the ACER lacks a lot of the other features that the ASUS has.

What the ACER lacks, that the ASUS monitor HAS:
- The higher resolution (ACER: 1920 x 1080, ASUS: 2560 x 1440)
- NVIDIA 3D Vision ready
- ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio
- ASUS Exclusive GamePlus Technology (crosshair/timer)

Solution

vhv89

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
thanks alot for including all the info in one post. Asus seems like the best/and the most expensive one. But is it worth it? at the end of the day its almost double the price.

Recently ive looked at acer predator hb270hu which is around asus's price range. Everyone praises the ips panel on that one. is that one worth looking at?

I won't say that its not worth it but I will say that you will get a great experience if you get the ACER monitor as you would getting the ASUS one. It just depends on if you will use the additional features and if you want the 2560 x 1440 resolution.

Both of the ROG and XB270HU will perform similarly. The pixel response times are better in the ROG