Slow Access Sometimes

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Why does Tom's Forum so often have such slow access time? No other internet sites ever seem to have that issue for me, just this one. There doesn't seem to be heavy traffic on the forum at the time.
Like today.. the basic page comes up nornally, but the graphics and notifications lag behind for about 20 seconds.
In fairness, most of the time it is fine.

Solution
D
Huh, I've never seen that before. Tom's is hosted on Amazon servers here in the US although the devs are French.

You tried clearing your cache and all the normal stuff? Maybe another browser?
D

Deleted member 217926

I haven't had any problems since around the first of February when there was a day the site was screwy.

I haven't seen any other complaints either here in the open forum or in the mod section either and we are pretty quick to post in there if anyone is having issues.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks for the reply. Then it must be on my end... and only with Tom's Hardware, and only with the forum. Strange.
The initial pages load fast as normal. But there's a long 15-20 sec delay before graphics and notifications show up. And when they do, it's instantaneous. Bang, there they finally are. Sometimes I'll be replying to a post and the graphics and notifications will finally appear, throwing me off my text box. I have to scroll back up to continue typing. Aggravating.

Just out of curiosity, are Tom's Forum servers in the US? Or are they all Euro-based?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Btw, this is the server it is always waiting on that appears to be the delay:
YeiVnFi.png

(m12n.servebom.com)

D

Deleted member 217926

Huh, I've never seen that before. Tom's is hosted on Amazon servers here in the US although the devs are French.

You tried clearing your cache and all the normal stuff? Maybe another browser?

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I've done a clean instal of my Ethernet drivers and cleared the FF and IE cache.
I just put a post up in networking hoping to get some advice. Maybe I'll run a virus/malware check too.

It happens in both IE and FF. But oddly, it is just this PC in my sig. My other Ethernet connected machine works normally. My wireless machine too. Seems to have only started happening after I did a clean Win7x64 installation a few days ago. I'm satisfied it isn't on Tom's end. The problem appears to be machine specific.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Update: I tracked down m12n.servebom.com. It appears to be a Name Server located in France.
https://www.virustotal.com/en-gb/domain/static.m12n.servebom.com/information/

Why this server is taking so long to resolve the name, and why on only one of my PCs is still a mystery to me. But I guess this post can be closed, since I'm the only one apparently having issues.

D

Deleted member 217926

I always use AdBlock Plus and Ghostry so that might be why I couldn't see a problem. They help everywhere. Glad you figured it out and sorry I wasn't more help!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Not a problem. Always good to get feedback. I would have let it ride thinking the issue was on Tom's end if not for your reply. (actually it may have been on Tom's end inadvertantly). After I did the fresh Win7 install, I failed to re-install all my FF add-ons. Should have seen that sooner. Oh well...
Thanks. Have a good one.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
I've been following this one for a few days, but I haven't said anything because I don't have anything constructive to add.

That being said, we have recently had a few minor to mildly-surprising issues with ads in the past week. Will add this on to the list of things we need to look at. Definitely is very weird that it only affected one specific machine...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

OK. Thanks for the feedback. It was always the above server that seemed to be causing the delay. Located in France from what I could track down. But that is a bit out of my area of expertise.

It probably affects others that don't use some form of ad blocking too. But they maybe are not inclined to know what to make of it. Might just think it is "just another internet problem" and let it slide.