Setting up SSD and HDD together on Windows 7

Reiter78

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
I am currently running Windows 7 on a 2TB HDD, I primarily use the system for a media center (A8 processor and 8GB Ram which is all I need). I am going to add an SSD to the system this week and had some questions regarding what I can do. The SSD is a Samsung 840 which is 250GB and it will have plenty of room for everything (OS, Music, Photos, Data) that's on my HDD now just no videos. I have used reflect multiple times and I am not completely new to cloning drives but here are my main questions.

1. I read some things on a program called Paragon Migrate and saw that it will let me clone the SSD with everything on my current HDD without videos. Does this program work well and since it is one of the few that does this are there any corruption issues I should worry about? (Once I reformat the HDD then I'm screwed if the SSD fails)
2. If I can setup my SSD to hold everything except videos then what would be my best route in setting up my 2TB HDD? I planned on reformatting the HDD and setting it up as say an L drive and using that for video storage only. I have an external drive I can upload my videos to before reformatting. I mainly want the HDD just for storage of videos after I setup the SSD as the main boot drive.

LordConrad

Distinguished
I would copy the videos to your external hard drive, erase them from your internal hard drive, then clone your internal hard drive to the SSD. Install the SSD as your primary drive and then quick format the hard drive. Now set your media software to record to the hard drive.

I've never used Reflect or Paragon Migrate, but I've used Acronis True Image several times without issue.