Gaming monitor noob questions

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Hi all,

I currently have an Asus VS248H 24" monitor. I play BF Hardline on this monitor as well as on my 55" LG 7600 TV. On my TV, the colors and graphics are just amazing using my GTX 670 FTW. But, on my monitor, the colors are awful! ( I have tried to tweak many times using online guides and on my own and there is no way to compare it to my TV)

With that said though, I play better on my monitor likely because of the MS response time and less ghosting in general. And it's kinda tough to play on a 55" screen in general cause of it's size...

My question is... What are the main benefits to gaming monitors? What incentive is there for me to buy a 500+ dollar monitor? What should I look for? Some guys in BF Hardline say the MS response time doesn't mean anything. Others say it's about the refresh rate..

In my situation, with a GTX 670 FTW (kinda old but still runs everything at ultra), whats a gaming monitor that will give me colors like my LG TV but also a great response time like a monitor. Does my card even support the 144hz that these gaming monitors advertise?

I'm new to the monitor thing... didn't realize the effect it can have. Thanks all!

Edit: I just checked my card specs and it does look like it supports 240HZ and a max reso of
2560 x 1600 so never mind that part :)

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008

I appreciate the response. That wasn't really my question but I did go ahead and try to do this for fun on my TV which is 240hz. The option for anything above 60hz isn't there. It's actually grayed out and I can't adjust it.

Maybe my card doesn't realize I'm hooked up to a TV and not a monitor.

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I spent the last couple hours doing the research on my own.. lol.

For anyone who reads this... If you are a competitive gamer looking for an "edge" in FPS shooters, go with 144hz <5ms monitor. You will get poorer colors and picture out of these monitors because they are TN/LED but you will benefit from having the 144HZ as well as a lower input lag. Don't worry too much about MS or G2G.. It's a marketing scheme. See the video above that I posted on this..

Now, if you care more about the graphics and picture quality, go with a 60hz IPS monitor because your display will look MUCH better. You'll suffer a LITTLE due to the HZ and input lag as well as MS but it's not THAT big of a deal.

After my research, I'm probably going to go with a 144 hz and suffer on colors/picture quality mainly because I'm trying to kick a$$ in BF Hardline and CS GO. The difference is huge in terms of screen tearing/ghosting and general smoothness. IPS is for less "hardcore" gamers or gamers who don't play online FPS.

I could've done this research earlier but I was being lazy... so cheers!