Multi monitor question

Imreallycool

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
1)I have 3 Asus VG248QE's all connected to one of my 2 AMD HD 7970's. Each of which connected by a different connector one display port one hdmi and one dual link dvi. Time for my bizarre problem, when I'm booting my PC the DVI connected monitor will not show any image till windows boots. It isn't a big problem because the other 2 are running and I can use those to edit bios and what not it just doesn't look very appealing. I have all my drivers up to date and its been a problem from day one.
2) Can I connect it to the second card and still have it be recognized? If so I could buy another display port cable and run the 3 that way (1 hdmi, 2 display port)
Thanks for any help!

Solution
I read similar reviews saying BenQ's LB3200PT could not do 2560 x 1440 over HDMI, but it worked perfect(only hz for the screen, but still worked fine). As long as both devices can take the higher data rate(have the right version of HDMI), it works. While HDMI started with single link DVI(thus limited to 1920 x 1200), they have pushed the data rates of that single link pretty far(340mhz for HDMI 1.3/1.4 is just on the edge of 1920 x 1080 @ 144 with reduced blanking. It is OVER but not by much).

Airm3n

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I would lose the hdmi first off as you won't be able to run that VG248QE at anything over 60hz. I'm not sure on using the ports on both cards haven't tried that before with AMD cards. Don't see why it wouldn't work though. I'm running 3 of those same monitors on a nvidia card and mine only displays the DVI connection until its booted.

I have a 7950, with two displays connected via DP with a third via DVI and have the exact same thing. I've had four displays connected in the past and only the first two displays come on at boot. So I can say (almost) for sure that going 2xDP won't make a difference.

My guess is that AMD only enable two displays at boot. I don't think unreasonable, they're mirrored anyway (assuming it's the same setup as mine), so having a third mirrored display doesn't really add anything does it?

I don't know about using the second card because I haven't done that before, but you realise that if you enable crossfire, you can only have monitors connected to the first card? I'm guessing you're gaming with CFX enabled, so using the second isn't an option either.

Imreallycool

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

Ya 2 screens mirrored are what I get as well. Like I said its not really a problem it just doesn't look very nice seeing only 2 start when you have 3 up and going. Crossfire is enabled so that's probably why when I originally put all my connectors on the first card because that would make sense.

Imreallycool

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

Thanks for responding! My only options for output were dvi(one single and one dual) display port and hdmi. Do you know if there is a way to make all 3 show at once? Like I said it's not detrimental it just looks kinda strange. Also i have all 3 of my monitors set at 144hz. Before you say anything I read a ton of reviews saying hdmi can't do 144hz and I understand that but I set it to that and haven't had any issues. I doubt though that I'm getting 144hz from that monitor.

I read similar reviews saying BenQ's LB3200PT could not do 2560 x 1440 over HDMI, but it worked perfect(only hz for the screen, but still worked fine). As long as both devices can take the higher data rate(have the right version of HDMI), it works. While HDMI started with single link DVI(thus limited to 1920 x 1200), they have pushed the data rates of that single link pretty far(340mhz for HDMI 1.3/1.4 is just on the edge of 1920 x 1080 @ 144 with reduced blanking. It is OVER but not by much).

Solution