Monitor Mystery! PLEASE HELP!!!

PhatLloyd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
HI GUYS.

Firstly this is going to be a long post from me, a complicated, unsolvable story. Read on if you dare! There are a lot of tags as a reward to the one who solves this.

--So my friend has a Samsung RV510 laptop with a broken screen. So she bought a NEW Samsung LED S19A100N monitor connected to the laptop with VGA (the laptop does not have HDMI)

--I have a LG Flatron W1943SB monitor with only VGA input.

So, one day I visited a friend and she asked if I could install a few programs such as CCleaner, Defraggler and uTorrent and more on her laptop. I agreed and took it home with me. I installed the programs and gave it back. A few weeks later she asked if I could retrieve some old data she lost. I again said yes, but was unable to get the data back. She again asked me if I could reinstall Windows 7 because her pc was cluttered and I said yes again. I did save some pics and docs though.

So I installed W7, but didn't copy the files back. I gave it back to her and she said there was no picture/signal being displayed/detected on her monitor. I thought she was doing something wrong since I installed W7 on my LG monitor with no problem. I went over and tested it and it was true, no picture displayed or detected.

So I plugged her laptop into my monitor with her cable and it worked and tried it with my cable worked again. I was convinced it was a mistake and gave it back. She told me the same thing happened. I took it home AGAIN!!!

TEST
Her laptop, her cable, her monitor FAIL
Her laptop, my cable, her monitor FAIL
Her laptop, my cable, my monitor PASS
My laptop, her cable, her monitor PASS
My laptop, my cable, her monitor PASS

I tried this many times and different was but her laptop did not work with her monitor, only with my laptop worked with her monitor. I even tried her monitor on my pc and the monitor worked.

I gave her laptop, cable and monitor back NON WORKING.

This is the most recent attempt! I took her laptop again!!! This time I installed W8.1 Pro, a clean install. I plugged in her laptop to my monitor, nothing. I plugged it into her monitor, nothing!!! I made sure her HDD was working, put it in my laptop and it worked.

NOW COMES THE STRANGE PART!

I read a forum online and one guy said he tried booting Linux, I gave it a try because I had Rufus Tool and a Ubuntu ISO. I clean installed it on her HDD in my laptop and booted it up on my laptop. It worked, then I put her HDD in her laptop and it worked!!! Not only did it work on my monitor but it worked on her monitor as well. It doesn't go past the loading screen though. (might be a bad install?)

I must say I checked everything. From the RAM, to the VGA cables and ports, (they work 100%)
the monitors both work. I downloaded the latest video and monitor drivers on her HDD and installed them using my laptop.

I really don't know what is going on.

The one who gets it to work I will praise!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read and post a response!!!

is her monitor still under warranty as it appears that it is incompatible with her laptop? if still under warranty & she bought it from a local store then have her with her laptop take it back to get a replacement monitor that will work with her laptop before she leaves the store.

PhatLloyd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014

The monitor worked with her laptop before I installed the Windows and other things.