Three Monitors, Different Dimensions, Same Resolutions

Jeffrey Drake

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013
Hello Everyone,

This may or may not be a really odd question. I have three monitors hooked up to my ASUS RoG G751. One by HDMI, one by VGA. The one hooked up to VGA is a 22" LG monitor that runs 1920x1080. The one that is hooked up to HDMI is a 55" Panasonic TV that runs 1920x1080. And finally, the default monitor is a 17" monitor that also runs 1920x1080. The computer doesn't seem to have a problem running all three at once, and even lets me set up their positions relative to each other... However, what I want, is for the computer to recognize that they are all different sized monitors. Is there a program, or something I can do, that will allow for this? Is this even possible?

JP7PlaysMC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014

What do you mean exactly? You want the programs inside your computer to acknowledge that the monitors have different sizes so that you can have, say, more open browser tabs on the 55" television? You can manually resize said tabs, but other than that I don't think there's much you can do since the computer itself recognizes and works with the resolution.

Jeffrey Drake

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

What I mean, is that when I am moving the mouse around, or using the monitors, you get a sense for how fast the mouse moves, etc... And the scaling on the monitors VS the TV is different as well. I guess what I am really asking, is there a way to change the scaling for individuals monitors?

JP7PlaysMC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014

I don't know of any app that'd do that, sorry (I don't even think one exists, but you never know for sure).

Jeffrey Drake

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2013

Giantbucket, maybe another way I could phrase the question... Is instead of change the resolution per monitor, I wonder if there is a way to change the DPI for each monitor?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
you can flex a square (turn it into a rhomboid or whatever that skewed shape is called), but you can't flex a triangle.

resolution - DPI - screen inches

those are the 3 points of a triangle, you can't change one without having to change the other(s). you can't change DPI if you want to keep the same physical screen size and the same resolution (and in this case BY DEFINNITION you can't change DPI unless you change those)

you could TRY to have your 40" TV running at 1920x1080 and tell windows to run your 19" at 960x540 (which is half that, which gives the same effective DPI on both) - but i'm not sure if windows has that specific 960x540 setting. you could try to find one that's close, or find some way of manually making it have one. but that's probably your only solution. and the largest display will have to be the one that's running at its native display with all the smaller ones scaling down.