G-sync DIY-kit on 55LED TV's ?

tallywho

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Hey everyone! have a question regarding Nvidia's G-sync DIY kit. Is it possible to add one of these bad boys to an LED TV. Reason I ask this is because I'm a graphic designer, photographer, and video editor. I use a 55inch Samsung led TV as my computer monitor. The benefits of a screen this size for imaging are for the most part obvious but I'm not going to go into details on that. However I also enjoy gaming on the TV as well and would like to know if this tech would work on TV's, and or if its even possible. once I played oblivion on a 55" there was just no going back to dinky little monitors. Yes I know I could do a multi-monitor setup 3x2 and it would be amazing. However until they get rid of bezels completely and I mean 0 bezel I'm not too down with the tech yet cuz it drives me crazy seeing them. (I'm a little OCD when it comes to that. I welcome and look forward to your knowledge on this subject matter. Thanks for reading!

Solution
That DIY kit (which has also EoL'ed at this stage) was designed only for 1 very specific monitor: Asus VG248QE.

It did not work for any other monitor, and it certainly does not work for TV, because every G-Sync module is actually tuned for each specific monitor, rather than a one-size-fits-all module, so unfortunately you are completely out of luck on this for the moment.

chenw

Honorable
That DIY kit (which has also EoL'ed at this stage) was designed only for 1 very specific monitor: Asus VG248QE.

It did not work for any other monitor, and it certainly does not work for TV, because every G-Sync module is actually tuned for each specific monitor, rather than a one-size-fits-all module, so unfortunately you are completely out of luck on this for the moment.

Solution

chenw

Honorable
Hopefully, but I would not put my hopes up. TV is a very different environment to PC monitors because the things that are typically used on TV (movies, consoles etc) usually have a very fixed FPS, so there is actually very little to gain by adding variable refresh rate to TVs, assuming they don't already have it.

If they do incorporate it however, I'd reckon FreeSync to get them first, as I have mentioned before, G-sync is tuned to each specific model of monitor, it's slow, and there is still a huge queue for them.