PC restarts due to power fluctuations even while connected to a UPS

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Hi,

My PC shuts down during power fluctuations even though it is connected to a UPS. It mostly happens while I am playing games (not during normal usage). The last time it happened was today, when I was playing BLUR.

The UPS is an INTEX UPS Protector 725
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/intex-ups-protector-725/1187781560#bcrumbSearch:intex%20ups

The PSU is a zebronics 450W unit.

What could be the reason for this? Is it because the UPS is unable to withstand load while running games? Or something else?

Thanks

is the receptacles on the ups split in 2 so that some are just surge protected & the rest battery protected? if split in 2 then which side is the computer connected to as should be battery protected? how old is the ups?

If the battery on the ups is older and no longer holding/delivering a proper charge it's possible that the fluctuation in power is because of the ups itself. Had that issue with a work computer connected to an apc 600v unit with a dying battery. It's not necessarily the cause of your problems but it's possible.

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014

They're split into 3. And I have no idea which one of them is surge and battery protected ( I didn't knew anything about them till now). Will go back home and look into the UPS.

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014

Because while playing Blur, there was a fluctuation in main power line. And the system restarted. However, I have noticed that when I am not playing any game and there are fluctuations, the system doesn't restart.

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014

I was planning to buy a new UPS. From most of the reviews and ratings, I have decided to buy an APC (haven't decided the model yet) and a Belkin surge protector (http://www.amazon.in/Belkin-F9E600zb2MGRY-Essential-6-Socket-Protector/dp/B007T5S0G0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1428600156&sr=1-1&keywords=surge+protector#productDetails). Right decision ?

ups already has surge protection so don't need a surge protector bar. how much of a power fluctuation is there as you might also want to check out a spike protector which will do both spikes & surges?

PassMark

Distinguished

I'm still not 100% convinced. How do you know there was a fluctuation at that instance?
The UPS does only supply 360W however. Which is below what a typical gaming PC would use.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

A computer must work just fine even when voltage drops so low that incandescent bulbs dim to 40% intensity. How often does that happen? Then a UPS is not needed. A potential threat to human life may exist. Call an electrician.

Many UPSes use crude and simpler circuits. Noise can even cause a switchover to battery. If its battery is more than 3 years old, then it probably cannot supply sufficient power. So a computer must power off.

If voltage is fluctuating, then clocks in VCRs and microwaves would constantly need resetting.

360 watts is more than enough power for PCs. A PC typically consumes less than 200 watts. It may demand a sharp peak of 300 watts. Since computer assemblers typically know nothing about electricity, then we tell them they need a 600 watt power supply. But only a rare machine exceed 360 watts.

A UPS degrades quickly in three years. So that its battery can still provide sufficient power, a 500 watt UPS is often recommended for that less than 200 watt computer that might demand a 300 watt spike.

If voltage is fluctuating, it would be obvious in incandescent light bulbs. His question is quite relevant. Get what may be dangerous house wiring inspected.

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply.

I was considering buying an APC UPS. http://www.snapdeal.com/product/apc-bx600ciin-ups/1572142975#bcrumbSearch:|bcrumbLabelId:56.

And I am planning to connect the UPS and a Surge protector: http://www.flipkart.com/belkin-4-socket-surge-protector-f9e400zb/p/itmdyp4jhugzbhab?pid=SURDYZYGRJAVK9H8&ref=L%3A-5335005720163496024&srno=p_2&query=power+surge&otracker=from-search

And I have decided that I will not connect the UPS to the Surge protector. But

is it safe to connect both of'em to a single power socket?

I am planning to connect the Monitor and the CPU with the UPS and the speakers, modem and others to the surge protector.

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014

Thanks.

All I want is a UPS good enough to provide backup for about 5-10 minutes so that I can close the applications and shut down the PC. So, is the APC BX600CI good enough or should I consider buying a higher watt model ?

At present, my specs are: 450w PSU, Nvidia 9400gt, Core 2 duo. I would only be connecting the monitor and the CPU to the UPS (no speakers, printers n all).

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Obvious when one first learns what those devices are doing. Plug a UPS directly into a power strip protector. Or plug both separately into one wall receptacle. Both connections are electrically identical.

However be concerned about threats created by the power strip. Do not locate it on carpet, behind furniture, or elsewhere that fire would cause a greatest threat.

Reasons for a computer lockout (if not powered from a UPS) would be problems not addressed by the UPS or power strip. After all, your 230 volt AC is not spiking well above 600 volts. So a power strip protector does nothing. If getting well over 600 volt spikes, then fix what is probably a major human safety threat. Fix household wiring. Neither UPS nor power strip would solve that.

UPS useful function is temporary and 'dirty' power for those many minutes in a blackout. BTW power so 'dirty' that a power strip protector must not be plugged into a UPS (as noted by numbers in its specifications). Must not be daisy chained as another recommended. Same 'dirty' power, harmful to power strip protectors, is ideal for all computers.

Vikash124

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

same happening to my system too , exactly ...please Help me guyz.

Kuriangp

Commendable
May 31, 2016