PC Crashing / Hard disk disappearing

AnubaraK

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Hallo everyone!
Im experiencing a weird problem in the last 3-4 days. I just got a second-hand Sapphire R9 280X Toxic and wanted to play some games. I tried Far Cry 4 and Dying Light. In the both games after some playtime my PC is crashing, I have to stop the game process from Task Manager and then the harddisk on which the games are installed is disappearing from My Computer. I've tried changing SATA cables, ports, reinstalling drivers and even Windows with all updates. My temperatures are fine. Now the both hard disks where I installed games are disappearing and when I restart the PC it boots very slow, something like 5-10 minutes, but the operating system is on another hard disk, which is not the crashing ones.

Please help me figure out this problem!

My whole specs are:

-AsRock 970 extreme 3 rev 2.0
-AMD FX 6300 (overclocked 4.6GHz)
-Sapphire R9 280X Toxic
-16GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Savage Red
-120GB SSD Kingston SSDnow
-1TB WD Caviar Blue
-Corsair VS 550
-6 Case Fans

AnubaraK

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Hi,
I focused on the power supply and when I torture tested the CPU with Prime95 the +12V rail showed value of 11.6 volts which is ok, but when I also started FurMark GPU torture test the +12V showed 11V and even 10.96V. This readings were from SpeedFan. Do you think they are correct and do you think that my GPU is too heavy for that PSU?

AnubaraK

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Yes I did reduce the CPU speeds to defaults and at the beginning it was fine, but after some time it started crashing again. When stresstesting the CPU and monitoring with SpeedFan the voltages are 11.6V (for the overclocked), but when GPU stresstesting the voltages drop to 11V and thats why I assume its the GPU and not the CPU.

AnubaraK

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Yeah, I think its the PSU too. If there is any way to test it without these voltage measuring gadgets would be nice. Any recommendations for a quality gold certified PSU in the 100$ pricerange would be appreciated. (I'm in Bulgaria, Europe)

AnubaraK

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Not, but I think I can get almost every known brand PSU. What do you think of Antec TruePower Classic Series 750 W?

AnubaraK

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Thank you, I might go for it but I'm still thinking of bringing my PSU to the service because it's still on waranty and they may raplace it.