I moved to another country and my dad sent me my 2012 PC. It arrived very damaged so I'll probably need to replace some parts.

grimreaperpt

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
It's the last time I'll ever use or trust a service like this. It's a cheap delivery service where you can send big boxes without paying too much.

The package came, and when I opened my PC all the HDDs were in the middle of the case, just loose. I don't even know how is this possible, since I'm 100% sure that they were properly attached and screwed in place. They must have hit the motherboard, since some of the pins are bent and broke. My dad was really careful with the packaging, and used some of those materials suitable for the trip. I guess it wasn't enough.

I haven't really tested what pieces are working (I broke my arm so I can't really tinker with it), but when I tried to turn on the PC it made a scary loud noise and no image was being output, but I guess this can be a lot of things.

I'm not really sure if this is the correct forum for this specific issue, but I would like some knowledge on how can I test piece-by-piece to see if I can scavenge some of them. What procedure would you use? What software? What pieces are more resistant and probably fine (I know half of my HDDs are probably dead)? Is it worth it to upgrade anyway (without spending too much money)?

Here are the specs:
CPU Intel 1155 i5 2500k (3,30GHZ)
Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHZ 16GB DDR3
ASRock Pro 3
Seagate momentus XT 750GB (and some other older HDDs)
Asus HD6970 2GB
Corsair TX750

Ilija Dakic

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Hard drives are probably dead, try using some that you have laying around or use one from some of your other pc's, also check all the fans, when the pc makes really loud noise it could be the fins on the fans... it would be helpful if you had a 2nd / test / rig and also post photos of the components, like this we can only speculate :)

TRENDING THREADS