Looking to upgrade system for 4k, seeking advice

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Edit: I made this post a few weeks back, and the replies below gave me some new insight on what I should be focusing on upgrading. The topic of upgrading my system is the same, however, so I'm just going to edit this thread.

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade components of my gaming system; the main focus is to get into 4k gaming on a new monitor over my 1080p plasma. I like to gather opinions on this stuff, so I'm hoping you can give me advice and point out anything I might be missing.

My current system is:

i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz w/ CM Hyper 212 Evo
Gigabyte Z87 (D3HP)
GTX 770 SC ACX 4 GB
8GB 1600 MHz
120GB SSD (8.1 OS, security suite), 1TB HDD (everything else)
650 W Seasonic PSU (semi-mod)
Corsair 500R case

I've given thought to 4k/60Hz vs 2k/144Hz. I'm not much of a twitch gamer, so the 4k/60Hz seems more appealing. I've looked at monitors; one thing I do want to wait on is reviews of Samsung's new IPS UHD monitors (UE590/850) with FreeSync. The ST60 plasma I have is a fantastic display; I'm going to be picky when it comes to a 4k monitor. Any advice is appreciated.

I also want to see benchmarks for AMD's 300 series of GPUs. My current plan is to buy a monitor and the best 300 series card I can afford, supposing both have good reviews upon release. If there is not one card that can do 4k/60fps, then I'm willing to get a new mobo and look into Xfire.

Now to actually get to my question. Supposing I buy a new GPU and 4k monitor. Are my other components good enough for 4k? I think my CPU is fine. I don't know much about motherboards and how often they should be upgraded, but I think mine should suffice. The RAM I have should be fine. Depending on power requirements I may need a new PSU; I've been meaning to upgrade to a fully modular PSU anyway. Of course if I Xfire that will necessitate a new mobo and PSU (EVGA P2 1 or 1.2 kW has caught my eye); I think my 500R case will be fine either way. I realize I answered my own question; the real reason I'm asking is that I'd hate to make a purchase and discover that I'd overlooked something.

Thanks for your time. Cheers.

Itsbranden97

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Honestly, you wouldn't see much of a difference in performance because tvs can only input 60hz. So a 970 might give you 90 fps ultra, and a 770 65 fps ultra, they'll look the same.

That being said, I would not worry about getting new ram just because as of now games don't use enough to justify 16gb. I also wouldn't worry about getting a 4790k because unless you're running 295x2's in quadfire or something ridiculous, the performance difference is negligible.

All that being said, I would get the new board if you are seriously considering doing SLI down the road. Maximus is kinda expensive, but it is a great board.

If I were you I'd just get a 970 and look into getting a 120/144hz monitor.

Adding more RAM will do nothing at all. Don't waste the money. The board you are looking at is WAYWAY overpriced. For MUCH less money you can get a board that does everything it does.

I agree that the right call for your right now is do nothing besides upgrade form the 770 to a 970.

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Thanks for the feedback/insight. Very helpful.

So I'll certainly eliminate the RAM from consideration. It sounds like my current components are well off for 1080p/60Hz gaming. I haven't researched a new display; I've enjoyed the plasma for nearly two years. The new IPS monitor from Acer looks nice at 1440p/144Hz, but that's also $800 for a 27" screen. I could go ahead and get the 970 with plans for SLI in the future with a new display, but I also came across the whole 3.5GB memory issue with the 970 that's irritated gamers trying to play in 1440p. It makes me wonder if the 970 is a good choice for the long term if I plan to get into 1440p myself. I've considered the Asus Z97-A as an alternative to the Maximus for a new board.

I suppose it might be best to wait for now, or at least until I have something that I can't run to my satisfaction.

Thanks again.

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
This is an old post of mine. The topic is the same, so rather than making a brand new thread I've edited the initial post. Please refer to it for my questions. Thanks.

qwerty987123

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Everything you've said in you post looks correct only thing i'd recommend is if you upgrade your psu for xfire you'll likely only need a 750/850w EVGA G2 unless the cards are power hungry.

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Thanks for posting. I'll only upgrade the PSU if necessary, and yea the wattage of the new card will dictate what I'll need. All I know for now is that I'll be getting an EVGA PSU.

Thanks for the monitor info. I did see that post; the Monoprice and BenQ monitors look nice. I think I'd be ok with either, but I'll wait the month or so for these new Samsung monitors and the new AMD cards. The plasma I have was the last iteration from Panasonic; it's colors are considered unrivaled and I'm basically nervous that I won't like the new display as much. If I have to I'll wait for OLED or something.