$1500-2000 budget gaming PC

TornAsunder

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Hello. I would like some assistance in what I would need to buy for a suitable PC for gaming purposes. Before continuing, I just want to let everybody know that I really don't know much about computers. I don't know if $2000 is necessary for what I want but don't mind spending that much if need be. For everyone's convenience, I have copied the layout:

Approximate Purchase Date: Within two months.

Budget Range: $1500-$2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, browsing the Internet such as YouTube.

Are you buying a monitor: Well, I probably need a new monitor but again, don't know much about them either. What are some recommendations? Any monitors are excluded from the listed budget but preferably, I don't want to spend too much extra on monitors if I can help it.

Parts to Upgrade: Everything. I need a new tower, harddrives, etc.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I don't really have any preferences.

Parts Preferences: No preferences, just whichever is best for gaming.

Overclocking: If suggested

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe? I don't really know, lol

Your Monitor Resolution: My current monitor's resolution is 1600 x 900.

Additional Comments: To give everybody an idea of which games I will play, or am interested in: Grand Theft Auto V, Counter-Strike: Global offensive, heavily modded Skyrim with those graphic enhancement mods, Battlefield, Star Citizen, The Witcher 3, and World of Warcraft to name a few. Ideally, I would like for this computer to last a few years as well without needing to worry about upgrading to keep up with future released games.

Why Are You Upgrading: My current computer was built circa 2008 and is probably outdated by now. I figured it was about time to get something better as I am having trouble running most games that I play on higher graphical settings.

Thanks.

goldsmit409

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
hi
so i am almost in same situation like your but my timeline is 3 months from now here is what i have decided to do
visit here : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8NJZL

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8NJZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($65.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full Tower Case ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1289.93

now even this budget is little too high for me, but since you can go higher
i suggest you switch to gtx 980 and get a cpu cooler to keep it cool my personal preference is corsair H100i
If you do not plan to overclock your cpu you could get a locked version of same cpu that is i7-4790 (without a k), now i know many people say that i5-4690 is enough for gaming but since the price difference is not so great and i have other uses for hyperthreading and stuff so stayed with i7, it will depend on what else you wanna do with ur rig.

now regarding SLI/Crossfire if you plan doing 1080p even a single gtx 980 would be great, moreover you are wait 2-3 months there are rumors about gtx 970 and 980 8gb version if the price is not so great you can have a look in to that, also AMD's 3xxX series is just around the corner watch out for that as well.

the build i am going for i plan to sli after a year or two and keep it going till 2020 i hope, with game details going from ultra to medium gradually i hope (only 1080p for me)

so have fun, let me know if i can help more, happy building :)