Anti-Static question/seeking advice

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
My entire case is painted so I don't think attaching the alligator clip of my strap would be effective. However, I have a metal radiator that's literally in the ground, attached to the floor. Would I be able to attach the clip of my strap to that? It's completely metal. Also, does touching my PSU while it's mounted in the case (even if it's not plugged in) work as a way of discharging any static? Thanks in advance!

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
So just as a source of metal, without plugging it in, my PSU won't discharge any static energy if I touch it from time to time?

Tayonas

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
The earth from the PSU runs through the case as well. If your PSU is installed with the power lead connected to the socket, even switched off, your case is earthed and should give the path of least resistance for any static.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
most of the time, static isn't as big of a problem for a DIYer as you think. if the air in your place is reasonably moist (ie not dry like in the dead of winter) then you likely won't build up much static anyways. usually not a good idea to have a power cord plugged in when working on a PC, but if you want just make sure that the power switch on the back of the PSU is OFF. the ground will stay connected all the time.

Tayonas

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

Switched off at the wall or on the PSU; either is fine. What isn't fine though is having power running to the motherboard, so at least one MUST be off.

Also, people keep saying 'grounded'. It isn't a good way to think. Think of it as earthed, the ground is the black wiring running through you're PC, PSU, etc. Red is 5v and yellow is 12v. It is important to think like that if you ever plan on building your own mods.

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys. I think it's a pretty safe, non-dry environment here. I'll be building on a wooden table, standing on tiled floor, there are no carpeted floors in my house. So i'll mount the PSU in the case, put the power cord in it as well as in the closest wall socket, make sure the PSU's power switch is OFF, and attach the alligator clip to some metal part of my PSU (I'll be mounting it fan side down so I can't attach it to the fan)? Please someone confirm that I understand what has been said and that this is 100% safe. Thanks!

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
don't forget to stand on one foot and rotate to the left three times while touching your nose with your left hand pinky, palm facing out.

or just run a humidifier in the room and don't worry about it too much.

Tayonas

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

A fan guard on the PSU would do fine, also the slots at the back of the case ... anything that is attached to the PC and metal.

BTW; the only time I've ever worn a static wristband was when I was in IBM.

Thinking of being safe for me would be wearing all cotton with bare feet.