Processor Constantly Running Above Max Speed

shan9020

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hello! My desktop has been doing this odd thing for the past year or so. My processors max speed is 3.31 (4.2 Turbo) but it always runs at 3.58 and I have no idea why. nothing I do will lower the speed, well it does but only to 3.54 and only for a second. The speed is the same at idle and under load, I mean ALL the time. I do have AMD Overdrive installed, however I do not use it as it tends to crash my computer when applying any changes, so all its settings and changes have been reverted to default, and it doesnt get started ever. The process isnt running so I dont think its that. My temperatures are fairly low which is good. At the moment it isnt a problem, unless you guys believe it is. I have a few questions regarding this;
1) Why is it doing this?
2) Will it damage the processor having it run at these speeds constantly?
3) If there is a need to stop it, how would I go about doing that?
Please let me know if you need any more info, I will gladly give it!
And sorry for the long post, but I like to be descriptive lol.
Thank you!
Specs:
Processor: AMD FX-8300
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 650 1GB
RAM: 8GB
Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUS (No idea what model)

nooneisback

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Did you try overclocking with the BLCK speed? If yes, then that explains the weird and not normal speed of 3.31 and not 3.3. Try disabling Turbo. But also if the temps are ok you shouldn't bother with this, it only speeds up your PC.

shan9020

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

Thank you for the answer. I have experimented with AMD Overdrive, but as far as I know, it isn't activated. There is no turbo option in windows, or BIOS, I believe it automatically kicks in. My temps are fine, 30-40 idle, 50-62 under load, never above 65. If it's safe to run it above its max speed constantly, than I am fine with keeping it that way. My only real concern is that it will damage the processor.