Thoughts on new build. Specifically Mobo. $2000ish budget

Haven't posted on these forums in quite some time but I'm starting my next build and thought I'd get some opinions. I have a decent budget for this one, $1800-2000, not including monitors or peripherals.

Current Build
CPU: 2600k
GPU: GTX 680 FTW+
PSU: Corsair AX750
Memory:Mushkin Radioactive 2x4gb @ 1600
Mobo: ASRock Extreme4 Gen3

Approximate Purchase Date: Buying the first 970 and sticking it in my current pc till I buy the rest in probably about 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: $1800(pref)-2000 Before Rebates ; After Shipping

System Usage: Gaming (GTA V is what pushed me to do a new build), Streaming, aswell as some 3ds Max etc.

Are you buying a monitor: Getting something like a Tempest X270OC (not including in this budget)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (Not including in price)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NCIX.com or Newegg.ca (Preferred but not necessary)

Location: British Columbia, Canada - So pretty much no in store deals or anything of the like.

Parts Preferences: Intel and EVGA mostly. Also prefer Corsair, Mushkin, and ASRock

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Other Comments: Thinking about either a white and blue or white and orange colour scheme

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 at the moment, upgrading to 2560x1440

What I'm currently looking at for parts.
Motherboard : Was looking at an Z97 ASRock Extreme6 but looks like it might have SLI issues with an M2 SSD installed. There's also the ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK S because damn is that ever sexy.

CPU: Intel i7 4970k

GPU: Two EVGA GTX 970 SSCs in SLI

Ram: Can't decide between pulling out my 2 Mushkin Radioactive sticks (2x4 gb) from my current build and buying another 2 for a total of 16gb and leave it at that or buy 2x8 gb G.Skill for 16gb and possibly upgrade to 32 later on.

PSU: Pulling out the Corsair ax750 from my current build

Storage: Taking out the my two 2tb drive and my 128gb Crucial M4. Also considered getting a 500gb Crucial MX200 for the new boot drive.

Planning on doing a single loop with a probably a 240 rad on the 4970k. Was thinking about doing the video cards too but decided they'd do fine on air.

Also looking for suggestions on a case. Was looking at a Corsair 760t but want something a little bit more minimalistic now. Looking at something like the NZXT Switch 810. The S340 is pretty much perfect but I'm doing a build for a friend with that case and I want something different. Also want a full tower.
2 answers Last reply
More about thoughts build specifically mobo 2000ish budget
  1. You know you're not really going to see much improvement in the CPU from the i7-2600K to the i7-4790K. Before you invest in a new system you should check the return on the investment that you would get. You would benefit greatly from a new GPU however. The 970s are a good investment for 1080P, for 1440P you should get a 980 SLI setup, or a Titan X setup.
  2. g-unit1111 said:
    You know you're not really going to see much improvement in the CPU from the i7-2600K to the i7-4790K. Before you invest in a new system you should check the return on the investment that you would get. You would benefit greatly from a new GPU however. The 970s are a good investment for 1080P, for 1440P you should get a 980 SLI setup, or a Titan X setup.

Completely forgot to reply, sorry about that.
    Yeah you're right, not much point in moving from a 2600k to the 4790k. I thought the performance difference was much larger but after looking at some benchmarks the money was definitely better spent on the gpu. I'll wait and see how Skylake is, just want to upgrade because I thought PCI 2.0 x8 might become a bottleneck.
    I also ended up going with the EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC. Ordered one and am going to buy a second in about another week or 2. Thanks for the input, man. You saved me some money :D
    Also, does anyone have opinions on the H630 and 760t?
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Motherboards New Build