Is the i7-5820K at 4.4Ghz good enough for Gaming,Video Editing and Streaming ?

optional

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Guys

Possibly a very noob question but as this is my very first Intel build and I previously only ever had AMD I need a little information :)

I'm a active YouTuber putting out Let's Play videos daily and now got to a point where I want to also start streaming and need more power to render my videos as well.

I now want to buy a dedicated gaming/editing/streaming rig and had a bit of confusion reading the whole i7-4790k vs i7-5820K posts with people mostly saying stay i7-4790k.

This PC is not only intended for High Quality Gaming but also possible 1080p Streaming and I need something that can speed up my rendering times.

I wonder if the i7-4790k is still a better choice and due to my lack of knowledge on the intel front I hope you guys can help me out.

Questions

The spec of the PC I want to buy is below and need to know if:
- Will it be good enough AND better than what the i7-4790k could give me?

Also, my current system (960T@3.3Ghz + 1GB Sapphire 7850HD) takes 3-4 hours to render a 30min 1080p/30FPS clip in SONY Movie Studio but luckily only 1 hour in PowerDirector13.
- Can I expect big improvements in rendering times ?

My planned PC spec

- Overclocked Intel® Six Core i7-5820K (3.3GHz @ MAX 4.4GHz)
- ASUS® X99 DELUXE: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
- 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
- 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
- 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
- 4TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 5900 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)
- 4TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD4003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
- CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
- Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
- Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Professional

The i7-5820k is a much better choice for rendering, as it has more cores which programs such as Premiere to name one take advantage of. If you want to decrease render times 16 GB is enough however some larger Projects can use more, if you use the RAM preview mode in Premiere. To further decrease render (export) times then this storage setup will be ideal with the option to add Raid later on, however for 1080p it's not really required:

#1 SSD: Programs & OS
#2 HDD: Media/Footage/Audio
#3 SSD: Scratch disk (not sure about Sony's software but in Adobe it is very much preferred)
#4 HDD: Exporting your final video, the main factor here is not the speed of the drive, but the CPU
Tip: Enable Cuda accelerated effects to be rendered using your GPU, to cut final render & time significantly if you will be using a lot of effects

Now I have to say, I have 0 experience with Sony's or PowerDirector13 as I've been a Premiere (Pro) user for quite some time now, so I cannot say if above configuration or optimisation will work for your specific application. Adobe CC is very inexpensive today compared to previous versions, so I recommend buying it if it turns out Sony's or the PowerDirector13 can't take advantage of above!

optional

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Awesome. The drive setup I had in mind is similar, except I had no idea what a scratch disk was and had to google it :)

Looks like I'm going into the right direction and I will up the RAM to 32GB as well then :)

I also saw CUDA option in SONY Movie Studio but didn't know what it was for or ever had the ability to enable it, so that should help than too.

Thank you so much for the reply :)