connect laptop to router and cell phone tether?

testerh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hello. I used to connect my laptop to my router for internet and to access my wireless printer.

I am now wirelessly tethering my cell phone to my laptop.

Is there a way I can ALSO connect to my router so I can access my wireless printer?

Presently, I disconnect my cell phone tether then connect to my router to print...then I reconnect to my cell phone when I am done printing.

Thanks.

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
If you are accessing your router via it's internal IP address (eg, 192.168.0.1) then you must be connected to that network either via Ethernet or WiFi.

You may be able to set up your printer to be shared over your cell phone data as an alternative.

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
If you install a second network adapter you would probably not see any additional benefit from how you are approaching it now.

What is the goal you wish to achieve, being able to print while tethered to your cell phone?

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
The problem is a basic network printers are meant really to be set up on just one network, and the only reason you can print is because you're on the same network.

If your printer must remain on the WiFi network and your laptop tethered to phone then perhaps 2 adapters may be the best solution as you had mentioned, only other option that I could think of is using printer as a network printer over your tethered network.

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Easiest option would be to purchase a USB network adapter and plug it in/install the software. I do not recommend attempting to install a second internal one on a laptop.

With the USB ones, sometimes the software that comes with it likes to try to 'overtake' the Windows default tools for connecting/disconnecting to Wireless networks so that would be the only additional thing I could see complicating what you are trying to achieve.

TRENDING THREADS