TIL... MSI motherboards warranty starts from date of MANUFACTURE not sale... WTF

h4ldol

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Is this widely known? What a load of b**s****! I couldn't believe my ears when the MSI CSR told me that. I checked some other big brands in hardware (ASUS, Sapphire, Gigabyte) and none indicate on their websites info about warranty that the date of manufacure determines the length of warranty. But on MSI's it actualy says that. On the newegg product page it says 3 years parts and labor and I assume most consumers would assume that any warranty is based on sale (at least from an authorized reseller) date, not manufacture date. So if yours was made a year ago you only have 2 years warranty, unbelievable. Sounds like a class action suit waiting to happen.

Sorry, just needed to vent/rant!

Warranty Effective Date From the Date of Manufacture

The warranty period starts from the manufacture date. To determine the warranty entitlement for the product, the Customer must carefully verify the first four digits of the Products serial number. The first two-digit number represents the manufacture year and the subsequent two-digit number represents for the manufacture month.
For example:
“ 0312 234562 ” means its manufacture date is December, 2003
“ 0402 234562 ” means its manufacture date is February, 2004

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013

Well in the UK at least it is the law that you get 1 year warranty from the time of sale, I guess any terms of any extended warranty beyond that is up to them although thats pretty poor, I always figured most manufacturers required you to register the product, then go off the date of product registration if you registered.

If it was advertised with a 3 year warranty at point of sale is say its worth taking up with an ombudsman as it could be viewed as mis-selling to say the least.

I had a life time warranty on a BFG graphics card which went POP about a month after the company did... gutted.

h4ldol

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Actually, I see that the newegg product page says "limited" 3 year warranty on parts/labor, but still that's misleading IMO given that most (at least those 3 that I checked already) warranty their mobos from the date of sale. I'm going to check out some more of the big brands to see what they do.

h4ldol

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
I checked the websites of EVGA and ASRock also since they are two of the biggest manufacturers of motherboards and ASRock, which seems to offer only 1 year of warranty, at least makes it clear that it is from date of sale. EVGA offers clear warranty periods based on the date of sale also.

So, to summarize:

ASUS, Sapphire, Gigabyte, ASRock, and EVGA (the other top 6 brands for motherboards at newegg other than MSI) all make it clear that the warranties are from the date of sale, not manufacture. Only MSI warranties based on date of manufacture which you actually don't even know until you get it since you have to check the serial number.

Makes it pretty clear to me that MSI is a brand to avoid. I know I will never buy from them again and will warn everyone I know not to either.