remote access a pc for file transfer

Denny000

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
Can someone please tell me how can I remote access another computer that is on a different network. for Instance If I want to access my work computer from home, how can I do it so I can transfer some files from home pc to work pc.
I heard about FTP but I think it's old technology and not very sercure. I also read about SFTP but it sounds too complicated to set up,
so can someone tell me the best way to do it. I know I can use dropbox and other cloud service but they have limited storage and I don't want to pay every month for more storage.

Before doing anything - check with your office' network administrator whether
a) this is technically possible (many workplaces take measures against that)
b) allowed by your office rules
As TMan1 have said, installing Teamviewer on your office' PC will let you transfer data off that PC. If you need access to other computers as well, you will be better off with VPN setup.

Denny000

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015

Yes it is possible. The work has no restriction at all.
Can you give how would I go about setting up VPN?
I'm so newbie on this so any help would be great.
Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Start with TeamViewer. Quick and easy.

Denny000

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
I did some research on VPN and it sounds like I can use it.
I kind of know how to set up and all but one thing I couldn't find is how can I access a PC from another location using VPN?
Do I need a special software?

shaksha valli

Reputable
May 4, 2015

shaksha valli

Reputable
May 4, 2015
i prefer u to use Tonido software to have access of another system
Download Tonido software and install it
after installing it will open you browser to create a ID in it
After creating your Id in it . It will provide you a URL like Ex: http://username.tonidoid.com
Next time when want to access the file just go to your browser and type in your URL:http://username.tonidoid.com which is the URL provided when your creating the ID
After type URL toniod site will open with username in it
Login in to it And you can able to access the all kind of file which you have shared during installing time
And you can access that system to any part of the world with internet