Will this budget-ish PC be able to handle current games?

m4ttyb0y007

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I am aiming to use this PC purely for gaming on a single 1080p monitor, here is the build:

CPU - Intel i5 4590
GPU - AMD R9 280X
RAM - 8GB (2x4GB)
PSU - 750W
SSD - 120GB
MOBO - I think it's called a Z97, i can't recall at the moment, it could be a Z79.

What do you guys think? Do you think I will be able to run games like the Witcher 3 at a graphical level that surpasses current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox One)?

Many thanks!

CrimsonLuke

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Z97. You wouldn't need a z97 with that CPU because the 4590 isn't an unlocked CPU (doesn't overclock). The z97 boards are boards for overclocking really... Save money and go for a H97 or H87... Other than that, it looks like a pretty sweet build that will be able to handle new games pretty well in coming years.

m4ttyb0y007

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Damn, I've already bought it :( I haven't bought the CPU yet, do you think I should get a 4590 or save some money by buying a 4460?

DasHotShot

Honorable
Stick with the z97. Just because it has OC support, doesnt mean you can't use it with a locked cpu. It is still the best chip around and those boards have better feature generally.

That system is a very nice gaming rig, capable of handling any current title on high settings and aa @ 1080p averaging roughly 60fps.

It will comfortably play games into and till the end of next year, when the good cpu will allow you to just upgrade the gpu and live on a while longer.

DasHotShot

Honorable

Crimson Luke is not wrong, however he is giving logical advice where it is not the only answer.

the mobo is totally fine and will work as well as any other H series board. Do not fret.

You can sacrifice the cash to go lower...however...sacrifice a little more cash to get a "k" series processor and your board will likely offer an auto OC setting which will handle that task for you and give you extra juice. Also a thought.

However luke is not wrong. You CAN save and get a 4460 which is also a good chip.

m4ttyb0y007

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
@DasHotShot Thanks for the advice, you have made me feel at ease :).

@CrimsonLuke Ok in that case I may downgrade to an i5 4460, i'm hearing that CPU's aren't really a bottleneck for gaming, therefore you don't really need the absolute fastest i5 or even an i7, is this broadly correct?

DasHotShot

Honorable

The CPU statement is broadly correct.

The diff between the current best i7 and the i5 you want to get in some games is 1 fps and in some is 5 fps.

Even when couples with optimum components, the performane difference is NOWHERE near the price difference which is staggering and totally disproportionate

DasHotShot

Honorable

Sorry, no K at that price.

At 25 quid more though, you get arguably the best possible cpu for gaming in terms of bang for buck...anywhere...

This is a CPU that will outlast your GPU and not hinder the next gpu upgrade you get further down the line.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k

EDIT: It will also OVERCLOCK!

m4ttyb0y007

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
@CrimsonLuke Which types of games will strain this CPU? Strategy games with lots of units?

@DasHotShot Yeah I was looking at the 4690k and am tempted, but I think I have to hit the buy button at some point rather than constantly saving up another £30 or so for the next best thing :p

DasHotShot

Honorable

That is fooking awesome. That will last a long long time. Good processors both the 4690k and 4770k!

DasHotShot

Honorable

Put it this way...after the 4690k you no longer get any value. These would be wise 30 pounds to spend on top, however theres is no disgrace in getting a 4460 or the other one you were looking at.

With only £30 difference between the 4440 and 4690k, it makes sense to get the 4690k really - especially as you already have a z97 board.

That cpu with the r9 280x you mentioned would smash the ps4 for performance

DasHotShot

Honorable

Smash...shatter...absolutely OBLITERATE the ps4 and xbone

Think Goku SS3 versus kid Krillin...

Or in the spirit of the new mortal kombat game...

tumblr_n6xz7i5wje1qd2j3wo4_250.gif

m4ttyb0y007

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Ok thanks for the help everyone! Another quick question, how easy and potentially dangerous is overclocking for a beginner? I don't want to break anything...

As long as you know what voltages and temperatures are safe for your cpu and motherboard it's hard to actually damage anything, and the 4690k is a very very popular cpu so there are plenty of overclocking guides out there