upgrading display, need suggestions on ultra wide monitors

einzele

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
hello guys, my current display set up now is 42" 1080p led tv as main display and an old 32" 720p lcd tv as second display. my old lcd, though still working fine, has shown some degradation to the image quality (some block stains, i have no idea what it is called) and just feel pretty old.

at first, i was thinking to swap it with 32" 1080p led tv, but then i came across to this ultra wide monitor. since im using pc at normal distance, sometimes i find 42" a bit too much, like i need to move my head to look things across the screen. im now thinking to get this wide monitor as my main display, 42" as secondary and will give 32" to relatives who need or something. most if not all films i watch are still in 16:9 format so i cant dump my 42" just yet.

will i see big improvement in terms of image quality from 42" tv to the wide monitor? the monitor im interested is the LG UM65 series, comes in 3 size 25" 29" and 34". im more inclined to get the 34" one as the jump from 42" wont be too great, because im afraid i will feel discouraged on how small it is. the resolution though, is only 1080p and i see people say 1080p will feel stretched on 34". so is it bad? or any other models you guys can recommend me? the 1440p ones are much more expensive and i dont feel like spending a display near my rig price, sadly.. i blame dollar exchange rate keep increasing in my country.

i use my pc on daily basis for browsing, watching movies, and play mmo games. and yes, the game i play supports the 21:9 ratio and it looks stunning, hence brought me here to ask u guys if its worth it, as its not cheap stuffs and i dont want to regret it later.

my rig spec is just an i5 and nvidia 970 btw, might not be able to play some games at 1440p also i fear.

tldr; is LG 34" UM65 worth it for the money?

Captdonno

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I have the LG 34" 3440X1440. It is gorgeous as it is amazing. Very pricey though, yes. I went from a 42" LED television as well (and even had a 50" TV as a monitor for a while). Honestly, unless you have the disposable income I would stick with the television option, or the less pricey 2560X1080 version of the LG. The aspect ratio is very immersive, and the color accuracy on LG displays is very good as well. If you really are hell bent on 1440p you're going to have to make some sacrifices in size, or pony up the cash for the pricier, larger displays. 4K displays are also coming down in price, but working with your single 970 I don't think it will be worth it.

einzele

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
thx for the reply

believe me, my heart is screaming for the 1440 ones but my brain says no. i dont think it really justifies the price. the 1080 though hit the nice spot, for about 500usd in my country, it is almost the same price as my 42" tv.
i think i need to mention that the 25" model is around 200usd and the 29" is 380usd. the 25" is cheap that i once thought to get 2 of those but 1 big display would look better i guess.

im very satisfied with my system right now except its my 32" lcd is bothering me, so i dont plan adding another card or upgrade it anytime soon and 4k is really out of reach for me, not that im interested in it in the first place.

Captdonno

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Then I would go with the 2560X1080 LG @34". The ultra wide is far more effective than using multiple monitors and I think you'll enjoy a wider peripheral view:) Your card will also handle it with ease.