First Build - Help Much Appreciated!

Willht12

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Hello All,

I'm looking to build a good solid PC for gaming, mainly play MMORPGs but I would like the option to branch out and play other games with high/ultra settings. I also intend to OC.

I have researched and have chosen the following build:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3GfVTW

I am looking to find out what people (who know much more than me!) think of this build, and if anyone has any recommendations - also reasons behind the recommendations too please.

I really can't afford to spend much more than what the build currently totals up to currently, if anyone can think of anywhere I can save a bit of money please let me know - however I am fairly sure I want the 4690k and GTX 970.

A few particular queries I have:

1. Is the wattage enough? I am unsure what the '12v rail' thing means? Seen it come up a few times in my reading...

2. I understand that as I intend to OC the stock cooler on the CPU will not do the trick, therefore I chose the very popular 212 evo, although I understand it's quite big - will it fit in my chosen case?

3. Does my SSD connect via SATA 3? or SATA express or m.2? And which connection do you think is best?

4. Will I need to buy any more fans for the case (it already comes with two) for my chosen set up?

5. I went for the highest spec GTX 970* (that EVGA does) as I understand it comes with a backplate which helps keep the GPU cool? How important is the backplate?

6. Only gone for an SSD for now but will buy a HDD in the near future once I get some more money - is it a problem to only use a SSD in the mean time? (It's only gonna have windows and a few games on it)

*If I'm honest I'm quite a sucker for the best spec things, I'll see a particular model and think "oh my days I need to buy the best spec bla bla", just gives me that comfort and reassurance...

As I say this will be the first time I've built a computer and I'm still new to all this - so nice explained responses will help me and my slow brain!

Thank you all!

ASUS makes excellent motherboards, as do other manufacturers. For overclocking, I would want somewhat better power phases than that board has with its four phases. The ASUS Sabretooth is only 12 pounds more, with 8 digital phases, and the ASRock Z97E ITX/ac has 6 phases and Bluetooth/WiFi, although it is a mini-ITX board. The Gigabyte 97X Gaming 5 and 7 are also good.

Echoing the above, you are building a 'racing car' computer, so you need a 'racing car' PSU (not a 'mini-van' PSU) That Antec is an excellent choice. The Bronze XFX 650 semi-modular is also a good choice.