Usb port sparks and computer resets?

Hutch7344

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Hello two different times i have had a problem where i will go to plug my flash drive into one of the front usb ports on my pc, and as soon as it makes contact it sparks and then my pc resets itself. What would cause it to do this? My case has a reset button, so could it be jumping that wire or something? Thanks in advance for the help

ShakedG

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Most likely the reset is not caused by the button but by the PC panicking. Is this only in one certain port? Also when does your PC reset, right on contact between the USB port and the USB device, or does it happen when you plug it in completely? Did you try other USB devices (another mouse etc.) in that port?

Hutch7344

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
so far it has only happened twice and it has been in the same port with the same flash drive both times. but i have used that flash drive in that port in between the two occasions and it hasn't caused any problems. And it resets within like a millisecond of me touching the flash drive to the port

ShakedG

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014

sounds like a shortage in the port. Maybe try to avoid that specific port. You can also get a USB splitter and plug it into a different port. This is very serious, and has the potential not only to fry your components, but to actually electrocute and kill you. Pleas make sure you avoid any contact with that port. May even want to change your case if you know how, and don't think it's too extreme.