Looking for 3 1440p monitors for my SLI GTX980s

TheRealBeandip

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
USA

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
Games, movies, general use

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
2560x1440. I dont care about size too much, but since I am going with 3 monitors smaller individual monitors is okay.

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
60+ hz

5. How much are you looking to spend?
$1500 max, less than $1200 preffered (all monitors included in price)

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
None

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
None

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
Yes, 3

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
Each GPU can support 4 displays, I am using 2 way SLI GTX980s

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
Display Port

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
It will be used for both

12.Additional information
I would like the smallest border possible between monitors, so smaller frames are good. Also Ive heard that IPS monitors are pretty nice. My current monitor is an ASUS VK2148H-CSM

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
No

TheRealBeandip

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

I know. I forgot to edit the OP. Ill be upgrading to TitanXs or 980tis once they come out.

DasHotShot

Honorable

Mental...

Well in that case...

Let's get cooking! I will look at some recommendations with slim bezels (slim edges you seek)

TheRealBeandip

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Indeed I am. Someone needs to take my bank account away from me.

What do you think of these?
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16824009740
Theyre cheap, decent enough refresh rate, slim bezels.

TheRealBeandip

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I like that Asus but the price is a little steep for me. Those ultra wides, they seem cool, but i dont like them personally.

Ill probably grab that Acer I found and see how they work. Ill report back here, if they suck Ill get that ASUS you mentioned.

My GTX TitanXs get here tomorrow. I got 2

DasHotShot

Honorable

Brutal...dual Titan X...you can now literally throw ANYTHING at them, resistance is futile

Deyadissa

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

No, it's overkill. The price you pay for those is not worth it at all. I wouldn't consider it worth the money unless you're making over $80,000 a year and have gaming as your primary hobby. (Or $55,000 in smaller areas)

You can get similiar perofrmance with 970x2

DasHotShot

Honorable

This might be true on a single monitor of any resolution.

When you are talking about triple 1440p, 2 970s do NOT come close to two Titan X.

Add to this, he has spent in one SLI config, a little more than some spend on 2 generations of SLI configs.

I bought my titan and thought, well f***, I got screwed. With GTA 5 being so Vram hungry as well as some other titles I suddenly have a card on my hands which when OC'd is still on the highest tier of single gpu cards (except the X)...and that is 2 years after I bought it.

Also, some people do earn what you posted and more. Some people spend a lot of time on this hobby and simply want something special, Nvidia knows this and market a card to those people.

According to you, shouldn't every sports/supercar manufacturer just give up after the Nissan Skyline?

Well no, there is a market for niche products...and good that there is too! Something out there for every budget and every type of PC user!

leeb2013

Honorable

eh?! Since when does dual 970s give the same performance at dual Titan x? We're not talking 1080 here LOL. Let the OP buy what he wants to.

Deyadissa

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
That's why I said it's not worth it unless you're making that money. The value of a dollar is very subjective to a person, I don't make much at 21 ($20 an hour) but the cost of living is really cheap (<900 a month in rent) and many people find it insane I spent $3000 building a PC, if I had more money... yes I would get the Titan X SLI configuration, but most of the world is making less than $20 an hour, or some may make the same as me and I should point out that a Titan X isn't a solution that "you can throw anything at it" and it will outperform, because it's only slightly better than the 980's... it will still struggle at 4k on some games.

I built my system to be powerful for the money I put into it, there is a certain point where you spend too much money for little performance gain.

But like I said, it's all subjective. If you got more money, buy all you want... it's your money and your life. I'm very happy spending over a thousand on a PC vs a vacation on a beach like most "normal people".

DasHotShot

Honorable

You've been SEVERELY missinformed and have quite clearly not a) read a review, at least not properly, of the titan x and b) not seen the difference live

A single Titan X, gives roughly the same and in many cases more performance than a Radeon 295x2...that is dual 290x...

It can EASILY swipe a 4k game to the side...on its OWN!

In dual configuration it is unmatched by gaming cards.

You need to research your facts and up that knowledge before making wrong comments my friend.

Value for money is not its strong point, you are right there.

A Lamborghini or Bugatti in this case never was meant to be that. This is not a discussion about that. This is a dicussion about the pinnacle, the peak of gaming performance, at a cost point that is irrelevant.

For your benefit:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-gm200-maxwell,review-33151.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review,1.html

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-1288523/review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review

Deyadissa

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
with 2 970's the games I currently play reach 60-100fps at 4k resolution (besides MMO's, which are at 40-120 in certain areas)

And I read that 2 970's perform better than a single titan so I am not sure where you are getting that its so amazing

DasHotShot

Honorable

Naturally they peform "better" in terms of FPS...How would they not!

However...They are two GPUS vs one. They draw far more power, they generate far more noise and also heat as everything the produce is x 2.

They operate in SLI, meaning in most cases they split a 16x lane, running at 8x instead...couple that with 3.5 + 0.5 ram x 2 does not mean they have the sum available, they only have that amount for half of the screen/s. So GTA 5 or another Vram guzzler will sooner hit its limits, especially at 4k! Not to mention all the lovely scaling issues SLI brings to so many titles.

Most work fine with it, however almost never from the off. It takes time and patches and agony to get it right. Something the single GPU does not have, at least nowhere near as much.

They cost less in a pair off the shelf than one Titan, that is fair comment. However they bring a largely increased energy bill and the other side effects I mention, making it a so so solution for many users.

I am not arguing against them here, more highlighting some differences.

That is with 1 card versus 2 of those.

Add the second Titan X and we are no longer talking about the same ballpark of performance. We also add all the problems of SLI now, however what we gain as a result in incomparable.

Two 970s can handle 4k. Add another screen or make it triple 1440p and the sheer gulf between them and two Titan X becomes VAST. So vast that you would not compare them, it would not be fair.

Big, expensive cards do not come into their own in normal to semi high settings...they start ripping apart competition when it gets to the highest res, with the highest settings. This is their arena and this is the case here.

Look at Tom's review, look at MIN FPS, not Max...we can all hit 144 fps here and there...but a pro athlete or a car or whatever else world class is not world class cuz they did it once or because they could do it on occasion...

They are world class because at their worst...they are better than pretty much everyone else's average...sometimes even their best.

TheRealBeandip

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hate to burst your bubble there Deyadissa. I make around $22,000 a year. But I save almost everything that doesnt go towards living expenses and this is my second most important hobby. I saved up for 2 years in order to get this PC, So I am going all out. The thing isnt even built yet, I finish it tomorrow when the TitanXs come in.

I tried to use my 2 980s to run my 3 1440 monitors on my test setup last night and it was a train wreck. if my 980s cant do it, your 970s sure as hell cant. At resolutions that large its more about VRAM, and 12GB beats 3.5+.05GB.

leeb2013

Honorable
it's pointless discussing people's financial situations and using that to justify whether or not it's worth buying something.

eg 1. No-one needs a gaming PC, we could all give that money to charity instead

eg 2. A family on $200k a year, might still not buy 2 Titan X's if they've got a mortgage and kids to support.

So you can't put an income value on worth, especially for something that's a luxury anyway.

Fair enough if cheaper GPUs would meet the OP requirements, but they won't in this case as the OP has clearly shown. So dual Titan X is needed.

Deyadissa

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

Well, linking cards in SLI right now does not increase your VRAM. It is mirrored on both cards, so that explains why that issue is happening; so a titan SLI is really only 12gb not 24gb.

That should be fixed in Windows 10 when they officially release Direct X 12 though.

That philosophy is flawed, the average american makes 40k combined household income a year. After all expenses, their discretionary income at that bracket is less than $200 of free cash to spend a month. When you get to 60k, that increases to $1600 dollars of free cash to spend per month. This is why many high end cards are marketed towards people who are in the 60-80k bracket.

Despite making 20k more, their rent was only about 20% higher. If you're making 200k a year you shouldn't have any issues affording anything unless you're in mad debt or paid way to much for your real-estate.

DasHotShot

Honorable
Without getting into economics here...

In the OP's case, two Titan X's aren't anywhere near the wrong choice you make them out to be.

He is investing in long-term, ultra high-end gaming performance, a level arguably impossible to achieve with ANY other dual GPU configuration on the consumer market.

Simples.

TheRealBeandip

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
8c666d70c9.jpg

5ddc4a0506.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good.

Ninjamilez

Honorable
Apr 30, 2014
I take it you already bought the monitors...

Too bad I couldn't get around to recommending the ASUS ROG Swift 1440p 144Hz monitors in time. :\

I was going to get three of them at one point. I couldn't justify the price, though. The bezels are good and can are VESA 100x100 compatible.

Here's a picture.

ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q_FRONT.jpg
(Edit: I didn't see your budget. Oops :L)