Cables needed for 144hz on BenQ Monitor?

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Hey, everyone.

I have the BenQ XL2420Z monitor. I was just wondering, what cables do i need to plug into it in order for the 144hz feature to work?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
You're not missing anything. You're right. You can use either DVI-D to connect your 144hz monitor to your PC's Video card, or a DisplayPort (DP) cable. You shouldn't use both. And honestly I'd use DP because of the higher bandwidths and future compatibilities like newer graphics cards. DVI is on its way out of the market.

You will have to supply power to the monitor too, so hence, it needs its own power cable. Maybe someday power will be supplied to the monitor through the video cable, but alas, that day has not come yet.

Also, that monitor has HDMI ports... You *could* use those, but HDMI was meant for Televisions and home theater devices, yet its infected the PC market in its greed. Not to mention the cables are still being sold at...

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
DVI-D or DP should work.

singlelink.jpg

2011120134921_008.jpg

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Ok, that's what i was confused about. I don't need both dvi-d + dp right? so just to clarify, i will literally only have a dvi-d and power cable coming out of my monitor or am i missing something?

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
You're not missing anything. You're right. You can use either DVI-D to connect your 144hz monitor to your PC's Video card, or a DisplayPort (DP) cable. You shouldn't use both. And honestly I'd use DP because of the higher bandwidths and future compatibilities like newer graphics cards. DVI is on its way out of the market.

You will have to supply power to the monitor too, so hence, it needs its own power cable. Maybe someday power will be supplied to the monitor through the video cable, but alas, that day has not come yet.

Also, that monitor has HDMI ports... You *could* use those, but HDMI was meant for Televisions and home theater devices, yet its infected the PC market in its greed. Not to mention the cables are still being sold at higher prices. They are not any better than DP.

Have fun!

Solution

csgojoe

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Ok, Thanks! Well I heard that if you use HDMI, you won't be able to use the 144hz feature, or unless using HDMI +dvi-D together will still allow you to, that I have no idea. Also, I don't even think the monitor came with a display port cable lol:( but I'll have to check again. Thanks, though.

TRENDING THREADS