How to use dual monitors on one Asus STRIX GTX 980 @144hz?

smokeyb

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I just bought a GTX 980 and realized there is only one DVI port on the graphics card, I have a BenQ XL2411Z and it only has one DVI-DL (which is currently in use with my GTX 670), VGA and a HDMI port.

I want to buy another BenQ monitor but I am unsure of what cables I need. I do notice the graphics card has 3 displayports and 1 hdmi port as well as the DVI cable. Please help?

Solution
Monitors will typically come with the cheapest cable available of putting out their full specs. So if you get a monitor that has DP, HDMI, and DVI ports it will USUALLY come with a DVI cable. Check the contents of whatever monitor you order, and ensure you get a DP cable so you can handle multiple monitor output.

Displayport is your best option nowadays, it allows hardware based frame sync, and the best specs for refresh rate/display quality.

Second best is a high revision of HDMI, as it remains fairly popular.

Third best is DVI, as it can put out 144hz 1080p, but the port is deprecated at this point. It remains on monitors to support legacy cards.

VGA is worthless, left to ensure compatibility with bargain bin laptops and other low...

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Monitors will typically come with the cheapest cable available of putting out their full specs. So if you get a monitor that has DP, HDMI, and DVI ports it will USUALLY come with a DVI cable. Check the contents of whatever monitor you order, and ensure you get a DP cable so you can handle multiple monitor output.

Displayport is your best option nowadays, it allows hardware based frame sync, and the best specs for refresh rate/display quality.

Second best is a high revision of HDMI, as it remains fairly popular.

Third best is DVI, as it can put out 144hz 1080p, but the port is deprecated at this point. It remains on monitors to support legacy cards.

VGA is worthless, left to ensure compatibility with bargain bin laptops and other low end hardware.

Solution