AMD CEO Spills The Beans On Windows 10 Release Date: End Of July

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Please do not refer to Cortana as "AI", she hardly is. Anything I say to her results in a damn Bing Search that I could have searched myself in the same time that it took me to say "hey cortana, run steam".

What is she good for? She tells a joke or two and does bing searches. Two things that I do not need my OS to do for me.

What also drives me nuts (this started with Windows 8) is that when I start typing for a program, half the results are Bing searches and not actual programs that I have installed. Maybe this can be turned off but its pretty annoying.

I want to like Windows 10 but I just went back to Windows 7 and I am glad I did. Good thing Windows 10 will be free because its the only real way I will be upgrading to it. I have more complaints as well but ill save it for a better place.

What also drives me nuts (this started with Windows 8) is that when I start typing for a program, half the results are Bing searches and not actual programs that I have installed. Maybe this can be turned off but its pretty annoying.

I want to like Windows 10 but I just went back to Windows 7 and I am glad I did. Good thing Windows 10 will be free because its the only real way I will be upgrading to it. I have more complaints as well but ill save it for a better place.

It can. Very easily.

The trouble with windows 8 that I've found people have is that it comes with very annoying default settings. Most of what people complain about is easily changed, but users don't want to deal with that.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
So you tried the desktop version of cortana or the windows phone one? Because the w10 tp one is a crippled down version of the cortana you find on wp 8.1

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

"Windows 10 looks to eliminate all traces of Windows 8 by not costing customers a single dime for the first year."

So this OS isn't free then correct? What is the fee after the first year? They shut off your PC if you don't pay or what?

Guess I now know I'll be keeping win7 until 2020.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Windows 10 will be a hit if Microsoft would only listen to the feedback of the users. I haven't checked lately but the majority of feedback is asking for Windows 7 start menu functionality with resizable space for the live tiles. This includes having All Programs back with a subfolder called All Apps to separate the crippled tablet/phone apps from the full featured desktop apps for desktop users. Also, I hope they took out search from the task bar and placed it back in the start menu. I saw some progress last time I checked my build but they have a long way to go. They seem content on making the Window 10 start menu just a smaller version of the Windows 8.1 start menu. They should take their time fixing the issues that the majority of users want fixed.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
How exactly do you know what the "majority of users want fixed"?? Those of us "testing" Windows10 are far from being the majority.

Quite honestly, if they reinstate the Windows7 start menu I'll be dumping Windows from my primary system and the rest will remain with Windows8.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
One more point, it almost seems this is aimed at getting us all on subscription, as they've trademarked Microsoft365 (that's not office365). I will not be using win10. This 1yr scam to get people to upgrade won't get me. I wouldn't be too surprised if they make you kill your win7/8/8.1 keys to upgrade also. So a year later when you're sitting there with a defunct PC asking for money, you have no way to go back. They'll respond with "it's in the lic agreement, didn't you read the fine print"...LOL.

edit:
http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/
We'll see if this ends up true or not I guess ;) That said, I see nothing but DX12 here, and have no need for it. I'd rather see vulkan take over and android gaming amp up to lessen MS/Intel's hold on us. They've backtracked on things before, so I'll wait and see. That trademark sure makes me wonder and they certainly aren't legally bound by something they say in an interview.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Microsoft is giving Windows10 away for 1 year. That means anyone that wants to "upgrade" to Windows10, will be able to do so within the first year at absolutely no cost. Anyone that decides to wait out the first year, will then pay for it. That was already very clearly stated. For a period of 1 year (or 365 days) from the day of release, you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 at absolutely no cost. If you wait 366 days after launch to "upgrade", you will have to buy a license. MS also said that your Win7 and 8.x license keys will still be valid.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Microsoft has never said anything that didn't come true, so I guess you're right :sarcastic: I understand what they're saying, but do I trust them?...Not much further than I can throw them. It's bad enough that they're already trying to data-mine our kids (and parents of said kids) by pushing common core.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Please do not refer to Cortana as "AI", she hardly is. Anything I say to her results in a damn Bing Search that I could have searched myself in the same time that it took me to say "hey cortana, run steam".

So you tried the desktop version of cortana or the windows phone one? Because the w10 tp one is a crippled down version of the cortana you find on wp 8.1

Yeah Cortana on the tech preview Win10 isn't complete. If you want to know what Cortana is capable of you'd have to use it on WP. Anyway I suspect they'll have them up to parity by launch, and they will then continue to incrementally improve Cortana on various devices. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007

"Windows 10 looks to eliminate all traces of Windows 8 by not costing customers a single dime for the first year."

So this OS isn't free then correct? What is the fee after the first year? They shut off your PC if you don't pay or what?

Ditto. After reading about how Microsoft will basically own us and is datamining us through use of the OS I'm going to give Win10 a big pass and hold out as long as I'm forced to. Looks like I may have to brush up on my Unix/Linux commands.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007

I have a feeling that MS will be blocking your license if you have any desire/need to reinstall Win 7 once you downgrade to Windows 10.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
"by not costing customers a single dime for the first year" Hmm I thought it was going to be free forever because Microsoft wants to become more of a software as a service company. Well guess I'l get win10 off bittorrent then.

I hope Win10 has full support for file paths longer than 255 characters in Explorer.exe, since NTFS has support for 1000s of characters. It is annoying to have to use TotalCommander to manipulate deeply nested files and folders when Explorer should be able to do it.

Also seeing the discharge rate, voltage and wear level of a laptop battery via hwinfo32. I should be able to see this data in the battery meter.
Looking at hard drive SMART data via 3rd party software, I should be able to see that in Windows Disk Management and/or Device Manager.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
"by not costing customers a single dime for the first year."

There's that wording that implies subscription again.

I'm saving up for a new computer I hope to be able to afford by October, and what happens with windows 10 & dx12 determines whether I build a nice htpc for my surfing & media watching needs and keep some money (and stick with win7 or move to linux), or start building a gaming system & save up some more for a decent graphics card.

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
"by not costing customers a single dime for the first year" Hmm I thought it was going to be free forever because Microsoft wants to become more of a software as a service company. Well guess I'l get win10 off bittorrent then.

I hope Win10 has full support for file paths longer than 255 characters in Explorer.exe, since NTFS has support for 1000s of characters. It is annoying to have to use TotalCommander to manipulate deeply nested files and folders when Explorer should be able to do it.

Also seeing the discharge rate, voltage and wear level of a laptop battery via hwinfo32. I should be able to see this data in the battery meter.
Looking at hard drive SMART data via 3rd party software, I should be able to see that in Windows Disk Management and/or Device Manager.

Windows 10 is a desktop "port" of a mobile OS. Most "geek" functions are hidden/buried deep in win 8 already.
You want full control and desktop productivity? Keep your windows 7.
You want the latest Microsoft OS? Windows 10 seems great.

I'll keep windows 7 on my desktop and upgrade my win8 laptop to windows 10 and see how it works.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006

What is she good for? She tells a joke or two and does bing searches. Two things that I do not need my OS to do for me.

1. Cortana is more useful than you describe. I use her regularly to schedule appointments and reminders, find me nearby places, get me directions to places, she automatically reminds me of flights, tells me about traffic, etc.. I think you just dont know how to use her.

2. Windows 8 typing for a program by default always shows the local program matches at the top. Bing searches are separated by a line and always at the bottom. Not sure where you are getting that it brings back Bing results and not local program results.

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I wanna give this new OS a fling, but I will wait until summer or fall I guess. Do I need to install DOSbox again or can Win 10 run older games natively?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

Windows 8.1 is a very good OS and above 7. Only freaks can`t cope with the better os just because of a missing start menu.

PS: Start Screen is way better than start button with menus, but you have to work with it for a while to really see how much better it is.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"free for 1 year" reeks of you are going to be paying a subscription price after that 1 year term. If thats the case, i wont be touching windows 10. Im not paying a monthly fee just to turn on my computer.

I have not seen it clarified anywhere what the pricing structure will be.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015

1. Cortana is more useful than you describe. I use her regularly to schedule appointments and reminders, find me nearby places, get me directions to places, she automatically reminds me of flights, tells me about traffic, etc.. I think you just dont know how to use her.

2. Windows 8 typing for a program by default always shows the local program matches at the top. Bing searches are separated by a line and always at the bottom. Not sure where you are getting that it brings back Bing results and not local program results.

So she's a speech-to-txt interface for search, maps, and calender. Hardly AI then, and what would I need that for on a desktop anyway?

Gotta say I don't want it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.