Need help with Windows BSOD's and 8.1

a91sportyc

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hello, I am having a very frustrating issue with my HP 800-060 Phoenix Desktop. I purchased the unit new last year from HP Direct. It came with Windows 8 installed and I ran Windows 8 without issue. After having the computer for a little while, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 after it was released. All the sudden, I started receiving BSOD's stating that hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe where the causes. I went through a nightmare with HP tech support trying to resolve the issue and was unsuccessful in doing so. I completed a fresh install of Windows 8 and used the computer without ANY issues for some time. I thought maybe the last installation of 8.1 was corrupt so I decided to try 8.1 again, WHEA BSOD after BSOD over and over again. Ran stress test after stress test and even replaced a few hardware components like the PSU and the hard drive, still, no luck with 8.1. Rolled back to Windows 8 again and used the computer WITHOUT ANY ISSUES for nearly a year. Recently, I found that a BIOS update was released and updated it. Thinking that it may help 8.1 run on my machine and attempted the upgrade 1 more time. No go, WHEA BSOD numerous times over and over again. The way I am thinking, this cannot be a hardware problem because I can run Windows 8 for an extended period of time and not have 1 issue. As soon as I put 8.1 on this machine, noting but BSOD's pointing to hal.dll, and ntoskrnl.exe. This is getting old, i'm tired of re-installing the OS over and over again. I have no issue running Windows 8 but I would prefer to run 8.1. Can anybody tell me what is going on here? Some things I have noticed are that 8.1 will run fine for a couple of days upon a fresh install. After the first BSOD, it’s all downhill from there and they start happening sporadically, sometimes 5-10 a day. I have also noticed that they tend to happen when watching or doing anything video extensive which would lead me to believe that it’s the video card or driver but why is nothing happening running the Windows 8 OS, only the 8.1 OS. HP Tech Support gave up on me, $1000+ desktop, they refuse to help me anymore stating that nothing is wrong and request that I keep using Windows 8 without upgrading to 8.1.

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 4/24/2015 9:40:09 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042415-52984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x37213)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE00096007028, 0xF2000000, 0x10005)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

bugcheck 0x124 with parameter 1=0 means that the CPU detected an internal problem and shutdown the system.

do the following:
boot into BIOS, reconfigure to defaults.
if you have any overclocking software running for the CPU or GPU uninstall the software.

boot into windows, run cmd.exe as an admin, then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then run
sfc.exe /scannow
reboot
then start cmd.exe as an admin and run
sfc.exe /scannow
again to confirm that there are no errors.

if you get a bugcheck, copy the memory .dmp to a server like microsofts onedrive and post a link to the file.

a91sportyc

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Thank you for the reply. I am currently doing your steps and will report back. I have no graphics or CPU overclocking of any kind. BIOS settings are restored to default. After completing the dism.exe portion, I received a message stating "The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired"
I performed the sfc.exe portion and it reported that the Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I will post the memory.dmp if I receive a bugcheck

Some of my system specs are:
3.40 Intel Core i7-4770 Processor
16GB DDR3 SDRAM
1TB 7200rpm Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 Graphics Card
Windows 8.1

normally a bugcheck 0x124 is a overclocking problem but some malware/viruses can cause problems that generate this error.
your win32k.sys file is corrupted in memory you have to find out why. (scan for viruses, malware and rootkits)

I would run cmd.exe as an admin then run
sfc.exe /scannow
and check for corruptions.
run the dism.exe command again (from previous post)
reboot and run the commands again.

at this point I would run a malwarebytes scan again.

look at the list of drivers below and remove any that you think you don't need.
particularly the one from 2009
----------
- well your win32k.sys driver is corrupted in memory, this is a main attack point for viruses/malware
- your filter driver chain has been corrupted disabling the microsoft filter drivers, this can just be a bug in one of the other filter drivers or it was done on purpose to prevent the microsoft filter drivers from working. Could be malware/virus or a virus scanner or other filter driver messing up the other filters.

-----------
normally bugcheck 0x124 is going to be caused by incorrect voltage to the CPU or overheating.
your system was up for a long time, that tends to indicate overheating related problem.

here is what the memory dump indicates:
cpu called a bugcheck 0x124 because of a Micro-Architectural Error
on processor 1 cache memory bank 0

System Uptime: 1 days 21:11:47.779

1034 errors : win32k (fffff960001fb9ff-fffff960001fbe45)

you have a plug and play device that looks like it is disabled:
InstancePath is "PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4359&SUBSYS_05E214E4&REV_00\4&344ca4e&0&00E3"
ServiceName is "BCM43XX"

you have a bunch of file filters installed, they are installed in a chain
starting like this:
BHDrvx64.sys Symantec Heuristics Driver
eeCtrl64.sys Symantec Eraser Control driver
SRTSP64.SYS Symantec Real Time Storage Protection
afcdp.sys Acronis File Level CDP Kernel Helper
SYMEFA64.SYS Symantec Extended File Attributes
luafv microsoft LUA File Virtualization Filter Driver
npsvctrig Microsoft named pipe filter driver (link breaks after this driver)
fileinfo Microsoft fileinfo filter driver

--------------

Suspect drivers:
USB 28xx OEM Filter (TV Card) ATI chipset
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\emBDA64.sys Wed Apr 22 00:26:57 2009
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\emOEM64.sys Wed Apr 22 00:27:28 2009

this looks like a usb device, you seem to have 3 usb devices on your system
Neat ADF Scanner,something from KWorld Computer Co, and JMicron Technology Corp bridge.
is this for the USB 2861 Device ? anyway, the driver is very old, you might want to update it or remove it.

\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CLVirtualDrive.sys Mon Dec 26 05:26:47 2011
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\truecrypt.sys Tue Feb 07 01:09:36 2012

machine info:
BIOS Version 80.24
BIOS Release Date 10/24/2014
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Product Name 800-060
SKUNumber H5P88AA#ABA
Family 103C_53316J G=D
Product 2AF3
Version 1.0
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard