I made a mistake and I need your help please with upgrading my gaming PC

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
A few months ago I went to a local independent computer store. I had a medium size budget and had the shop owner build me (what I thought was) a decent gaming computer. What I ended up with was a thousand dollar paper weight. Well, maybe slightly better than that, but it definitely doesn't have the performance that I was expecting/hoping for. I have since saved up some more money and want desperately to upgrade this system so that it kicks butt.

This is what I have:

• AMD A-10 6800k APU with Radeon HD Graphics 4.1 Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon R9 200 series
    SSD
    Windows 8

Let me be clear, I am an idiot when it comes to matters of modern technology. I will be happy to provide you with more information if you desire, but please specify what you want to know and most likely how I can obtain this information. What is simple and automatic for you is like a foreign language to me.

I use my computer 99.9% exclusively for gaming. What I am currently motivated to play is LOTRO and what I want to do in that game at the moment is: I want to be able to launch and play several accounts at the same time from the same computer. At present, I am only able to launch and play 2 accounts with any degree of stability. From what other lotro players have told me, each separate account requires 2-3 GB of memory - plus whatever windows needs as standard. Ideally, I would like to be able to play a total of 6 accounts simultaneously which would mean I would need to jump up to at least 16 GB if not possibly 32 GB. I am told by these gamers that I should be looking into a quad (or better) Intel I7. The current motherboard (I believe) is not compatible with an Intel I7 as I think it is AMD based. As to the graphics card, I have no idea .. I can only assume that my current card is 'ok' but I will most likely need a much, much better one.

Anyhow, I know the people here at Tom's Hardware are top notch so I thought I'd let you laugh at me and then hopefully afterwards, you would be kind enough to let me know what I need to buy/replace.

Thanks!

BTW, if anyone lives in or around the Phoenix, AZ area and wants to make some extra $$ I will need someone to actually rebuild/replace the parts as needed.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Intel i5 or i7, 16GB of ram gtx 970 or better.
AMDs are budget builds. I look at it like this - if an Intel quad core can beat a 6 or 8 core AMD processor in even 1 benchmark, then Intel has won.

nkfarwell

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I'll try to answer your questions in chronological order as best as I can--

If the other gamers say 3GB of RAM per open account, then you should probably be on the safe side and go for 32 GB for 6 accounts. If you want to switch to Intel, you will need to purchase a new motherboard (preferably a Z97 board for the i5/i7 later series), as boards have sockets for either certain AMD chips, or certain Intel chips, not both. I don't know why those guys were telling you to get an i7, the primary benefit it provides is Hyperthreading, which games don't utilize, so getting an i7 wouldn't give anything to you for the extra cost. I would suggest getting an i5-4690k for OC capability, but idk how much processing power is required for LotRO. I would assume it's a single core application, it which case I would highly suggest going Intel as AMD single-core performance is garbage generally speaking.
Can you be a little more specific about the GPU you are using? The performance of the R9 200 series varies from the different models, but from the recommended specs of LotRO that graphics unit should be fine, although I'm not sure about having 6 separate instances open? I hope I was helpful for you.

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

Thanks for reply!

TYVM >< this was indeed helpful.

So, an Intel i5 quad core processor?
and a motherboard for accomodate said processor - "Z97" or better?
and 32 GB RAM

What about the video card? LOTRO has substantially less demand for system requirements as compared to brand new state-of-the-art MMORPGS. In the game, there is an option to 'detect optimal settings' and when I do this, the game tells me that I can set everything to High/Ultra (maximum) settings .... BUT I have a feeling that running 3-6 accounts simultaneously is going to be quite a burden so I would like to better prepare. In the past I have always had Nvidia. My current computer (mentioned in the OP) has something or other 'more comparible with AMD' and it is adequate but I would like something more 'premium'.

Did you really pay $1000 for that PC? If so you got pretty horribly ripped off. Though a R9 200 is just the series of cards, and can vary pretty greatly in performance and price.

This is what you should probably get. An i5 would be fine for only trying to play 1 game, but you're doing 6. For graphics settings ingame just manually set them to their lowest settings, you're not playing for beauty. 32GBs would be the "safest" to get, as you'd only need 18, but getting 18 GBs of ram is kind of hard and awkward.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.92 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($216.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $588.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-21 19:05 EDT-0400

Your GPU MAY be fine, you can use https://www.piriform.com/speccy to find the exact system specs as well.

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

WOW .. ty so much. and yes, i really paid that much for that ;( and to make matters worse, now I have to use the same person (or find someone new) to replace the stuff I have with the stuff I am buying to upgrade.

EDIT: James and I made posts at almost the same time, so i deleted mine and replied to his.

Also, when I get home (I am at work now) tonight, I will run that speccy ... I use CCleaneer and Defraggler so <3 Piriform

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

While I agree with you in principle and in theory, the store owner had offered to give me a 'trade-in' or partial credit if you prefer, towards the new upgrades ... since he will be removing and keeping the old components. I don't know how much that will be, but I would expect at least $100 'credit' so that should easily cover his labor expenses at replacing/upgrading what I want done now.

Now if you know someone around the Phoenix area ... I'd be glad to look elsewhere ><

jac0brah

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
You should probably learn about what you're buying. Its the best option, then you can make decisions by yourself based on facts not others opinions. Not saying the lads here don't know what they're talking about! But still, take alittle time to look at some charts, reviews, tutorials, its not hard.

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

While I do certainly appreciate a reply from you, I find this less than helpful.

If my car has something wrong with it, I go to an expert - an automotive mechanic.

If I need a haircut, I go to a professional hairstylist.

If I need medical attention, I go to doctor.

I take the same approach to buying technology. I am middle-aged ... and maybe 25-30 years ago, I knew "something" about technology. By today's standards, I admit to knowing very little and therefor I rely on trusted professionals like those here on Tomshardware. Is everyone here always correct with the best possible solution each and every time? No. But it certainly is a tremendous help to me and I am grateful for them all.

They say it is better to teach a man how to fish so he can feed himself for a lifetime, but for me, here and now, I am just interested in this one meal. Maybe in another 5-8 years I will be hungry again >< (this is how long my last computer lasted me and how long I hope the one I have will last me)

jac0brah

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

I don't mean to be rude but knowledge knows no bounds. Age doesn't matter. I understand you visiting this site for help, its a great site with a kind community. I'm just telling you a question like that can be solved best by your own study. I have asked questions from experts here but I don't ask such broad questions, rather, is this a good video card? Or will this work well? Not "what should i buy". Get me? Again sorry if i seem to be rude.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Ripping you off in the "trade-in" as well, I'm sure. After all, the parts still work, and he will simply sell them again to make the most profit.

Keep your current system as it's a decent backup machine, just build the new one as your main system.

Closest I could refer you to is Texas...and I live in Michigan, so I know that doesn't help, but ask around, maybe a friend's kid knows how to put a PC together.

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

You aren't and weren't rude. I understand that, in your own way, you were trying to help and I appreciate the effort. However, as I mentioned, this isn't the particular type of help that I am in search of. In my opinion, the only thing worse than knowing nothing, is knowing a little bit of something. If I spent an hour, a day or a week doing the research as you suggest, I would know a little and most likely would make (another) bad decision. I would rather place my trust in those that already know a lot about the subject matter at hand.

@ Tman1 - yeah, the more I think about it, the more I am inclined not to use his service again. I thought my computer was sub-par but I blamed myself for having a limited budget. If I did get ripped off then I blame myself for letting it happen and I won't let it happen again - or at least I will take steps to not allow it to happen anyhow. I wasn't actually looking for a new computer as much as I was wanting to simply yank out some parts and replace them with better parts, but I will make some calls tomorrow and start searching for another local person to assist me in this endeavor.

@ nkfarwell - yes, I have both. I will check into Fry's as well as other businesses to see who can help me best. TY

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
@ James Madison - I downloaded that speccy like you suggested, Here are the results:

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
AMD A10-6800K 48 °C
Richland 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
MSI A78M-E45 (MS-7721) (P0) 34 °C
Graphics
EW224 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (MSI) 32 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 29 °C
119GB SanDisk SDSSDHP128G (SSD) 31 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

TY. Please advise as to my need to a GPU. TY.

Sorry to ask you to download something else, but I'm still trying to figure out if the GPU you have is any good. Can also use GPU-Z and take a screenshot of it and upload it to a site like www.imgur.com
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

No need to be sorry >< When I get home this evening (I am at work now), I will go to that link and run the app and take a ss of it. I think I still have an account with photobucket (from my D3 days) ... I'll post asap. Thanks !

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
ct2.png

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

I found the boxes that the person who built my system gave me and the box is for a Radeon R9 270x MINI-ITX GAMING graphics card.

yeah Luco is right, a 270x, while not fantastic, should be enough for single client high settings and multi client minimal settings.
Lotro is still gonna be a CPU bound game, so you will need a strong Intel CPU, You could probably get an i5-4xxx and be fine.
Get an H97 chipset board, and maybe a 16GB (2x8) set of RAM, if you see you still need more, you can get another exact same 16gb set.

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

Thank-you for all your help James Mason. I have contacted a local (different) business and I've given him this link so that he might get himself 'up to speed' on what I am trying to do. Hopefully I am able to get things done asap now. How do I apply a 'best answer' so that you can be rewarded (besides my gratitude)? TY

palatinae

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014

O damn. Is it possible to have a moderator manually give you (James Mason) credit for a best answer because you certainly deserve it >< Everyone here @ tomshardware is nice and helpful btw, but you certainly went above and beyond.