BIOS Flash assistance

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
This isnt the right place to put this but i cant see a better place either. There isnt a specific slot for bios anywhere so i figure motherboards is close.
I have an HP Pavilion DV7-4153CL notebook that one day decided just not to boot. turned on, fans and disk spun up, but black screen with flashing caps lock key.
Flash code is 2, means corrupted bios. Ive been following these instructions on hp websites and other threads ive found to no avail.
Ive downloaded uefi tools and the bios update and ive got all this on a usb, that supposedly does not have to be bootable and it says to hold the windows key and the b key at the same time and then push the power button. Well i did this, and i did it again, and i held the windows key and the b key at first, the i tried a different time and released the keys, i put my usb into every usb port and tried, i pressed the escape key, the f10, f8,f2,f12, and every other key that they said to push.
My laptop just sits there, not even attempting to read from the usb.
I feel like the files on my usb are probably the right ones but for some reason my laptop just wont read from the usb drive. Any ideas? other solutions?
Please do not give me any links to hp web pages providing a simple list of instructions, ive already read all of the solutions hp provides and i havent found one that works yet. I need new ideas.

DeltaBravo

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
I believe if the BIOS is corrupt, you won't be able to boot from your USB or anything else. Hope I'm wrong and someone can say so, but the BIOS contains the hardware layout for anything you boot to. If it can't get to POST after reading the BIOS successfully, there's nothing you can do but try an HP service center or repair store to fix the BIOS or you may even have to replace the motherboard if you can't remove the BIOS chip with a replacement. Sorry.

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Okay, the computer does not post to the bios at all. It does not boot anything. The bios is non-existant currently.
I know it's possible to flash the bios. I did it to a gateway with a similar issue. I need help flashing the bios via usb.
I'm aware that if the motherboard is damaged in some way that would prevent me from installing the bios that this will not work but I know the computer should atleast attempt reading the usb drive.
So either I have the wrong files on the flash drive or I'm using the wrong key combo or something like that.
For this post let's assume my hardware is fine.
Just help me with flashing the bios in the case that I have no post and there is no boot option I can use.
Please and thank you

DeltaBravo

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Sorry, hope I am not frustrating you at all - I am trying to help...
Ok - I read an article on HP probably one of the ones you also read. Two things - #1 it says may or may not work, and that if it doesn't, the boot block could have become corrupt and a repair is required. So you may be doing all the right things, but if the boot block is corrupt, there's nothing you can do. The only other item I could ask you is did you create the USB stick from the "HP UEFI Support Environment SoftPAQ"? Did it reformat your USB key, or is the USB key already in a format that can be read outside of an operating system? The instructions make mention of HP_TOOLS volume - I'm not sure if that's reference to files or reference to the actual volume name - I would check also to see that your USB key/volume is named HP_TOOLS in case that's what they meant. Outside of that, I'm out of ideas. Sorry. Good luck

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Ive got all that in order, for some reason it will not read off the usb. it doesnt even try. something isnt right, incorrect files, incorrect file names, incorrect key combo. Although the windows key and the b key seem like a legit key combo to me.

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Resolved.
Preformed reflow with heatgun on gpu and the computer booted as it was supposed to. I suppose that is the reason it would not accept a new bios.