Monitor display turns fuzzy and resets my PC

Honey_Badger

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Hi,
I have a BenQ XL2430T LED 24-inch Gaming Monitor that I recently bought from amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MCX4Q2G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d3_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=10ZXBMHM1FHT97XA08A1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294
I connected the monitor to my tower via a displayport that plugs directly from my monitor into the graphics card of my PC (Lenovo X510).
However, sometimes I am using my computer, maybe playing a game like League of Legends, when suddenly the monitor turns fuzzy like a TV screen. The desktop is still running because I can still hear my music playing and friends talking on Skype, but there is no display. I then try and turn the monitor on and off again, then change the port to DVI then back over to displayport - but no response. I am then forced to reset my computer unless it does it for me.
I have checked around beforehand and I have noticed that some people have similar problems, but the solutions haven't solved my problem.
- I have deleted my drivers and reinstalled them. (AMD Radeon R9 290)
- I have swapped cables around

Maybe the problem is with the displayport connection, but I don't know why? Also, I have read that there could be a problem with my BIOS, I wan't sure how to check this but I believe mine is up-to-date.

I wanted to post this in case anyone else has had a similar problem and if there were any other alternative solutions to this problem.
Thank you.

Solution
one thing I would wonder if it has a platter harddrive and being bounced around during shipping and handling if it took some damage ???

I do know the computers I used for lan partys in the day they did not last long I assumed from loading them up transporting them bumping them around a lot from my to and from buddies houses ??? or just like sata cables knocked loose things like that

seems from amazon they would honor the return if it was damaged in some way ??

Honey_Badger

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

I don't have another monitor though. This is my desktop computer because before I have always used laptops.
Thanks anyway, maybe I'll try and borrow one from a friend.

ya, with out test or backup hardware all you can do is guess and not pin point

just to say as far as a back up monitor you can look around like at a goodwill thrift type store and pick up a dell/hp/gateway prebuilt monitor cheap [10-25 bucks] just have them hook it up to see it work first most times there plenty of them there cheap .. I picked up a 19'' crt for a project for like 10 bucks and it was nice

Edwarric

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
UPDATE: it's quite hard to test the problem so sorry if I haven't updated what had been going on in a while.
So my PC has been running ok for you 2 days then my computer freezes... The video I was watching freezes and no sound comes out. I try turning the monitor off and on, then hitting ctrl + alt + delete on my keyboard - nothing. I feel my desktop to test if anything feels unusually hot and everything seems cool, and the fan is still running. I am forced to switch off my PC from the mains after no response. About 10s later I switch back on my PC from the mains, but the ON button to start up my computer doesn't do anything. The monitor is working so I am left thinking there is a problem with the desktop itself... The problem is I bought my desktop online at Amazon so I can't exactly send it in to them and ask if they can fix it (or can I?), but I could just ask for a replacement maybe.
Someone else says it maybe something to do with the RAM but would I be able to simply send my desktop into a computer store for them to check even though I am with Amazon? Lastly, I have encountered this problem before and I swapped the monitor and desktop power cables around then both the monitor and desktop worked again... Strange. But I don't think it's something to do with the cables because the monitor works fine on both.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
p.s. I am almost certain that the problem lies with the desktop and not the monitor.

one thing I would wonder if it has a platter harddrive and being bounced around during shipping and handling if it took some damage ???

I do know the computers I used for lan partys in the day they did not last long I assumed from loading them up transporting them bumping them around a lot from my to and from buddies houses ??? or just like sata cables knocked loose things like that

seems from amazon they would honor the return if it was damaged in some way ??

Solution

Honey_Badger

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Sorry, I should have picked a solution :s

After a few tests I believe the problem was located in the computer itself (something to do with the RAM apparently, idk). But, Amazon (or the dealer) took it back and gave me a full refund which was nice of them :)

Now, I'm looking to build a PC xD

EDIT: It seems I used two of my accounts on the same post LOL! Just to clarify, that random guy called 'Edwarric' is me as well hahahha, sorry if I confused anyone!