question about r7 260x sharing memory

abdo refky

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
hi and thanks for reading
i have r7 260x .
when i check the memory from " dxdiag" it read as 3793 !
which mean its sharing memory with intel hd graphics .
how to use the r7 only ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, the system memory's frame buffer is added to the card's memory. That is normal. The more VRAM the card has, the bigger the frame buffer will be in Win. It is not sharing memory with the iGPU.

abdo refky

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
alright i have read some about the frame buffer .
from what i understand that the frame buffer is used to store the image that will be displayed . which is the final product after processing .

what is the reason from sending the frame buffer from the gpu memory to the main memory . what then ? send it back to the gpu to display it ? .

the bigest issue for me is the speed from ddr5 to ddr3 . which will slow down the whole performace of the ddr5

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The term "frame buffer" probably shouldn't be used for the reserved area of system memory that is set aside for the GPU to work with. Maybe 'graphics buffer' would be a better word. The GPU and CPU are continually exchanging data and the CPU needs to set aside some memory for this work area. The greater the card's VRAM and the higher your monitor's resolution is (more pixels), the more of the system memory is set aside. But no, the frames do not go back to the CPU and then back to the card before going to the display.

This is a good explanation of what goes on when starting a game to when the frames are displayed on the screen. The part you are interested in starts around page 2. But I suggest reading the whole article. Very enlightening.
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html