HDMI output on Alienware m15x and amd 7970m

gcarrell2

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
I have a weird issue that I am going to try to explain. I have an alienware m15x with an amd 7970m. Bios flashed to A09 and the proper drivers installed for the 7970m to work correctly with the m15x.

My main issue is with the HDMI output. When running HDMI out to an hdtv, it works great. However, when I run my HDMI out to my gateway fhd 2401 1080p computer monitor, i get sound and picture, however, the picture is all fuzzy, discolored and a lot of random lines everywhere. The computer recognizes this as an HDTV not a monitor. when I hook up the monitor via VGA cable, the picture is completely fine. When I load windows, the monitor has a normal image until after the windows logo screen. Once the computer goes to the password/logon screen, thats when the picture gets messed up.

When I run duplicate picture, the picture on the laptop is fine. So I guess in a nutshell, is there anyway to tell the computer that this is a monitor not an HDTV, or am I forced to using the VGA cable?

gcarrell2

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
HDMI cable is only used for the monitor. I know that when the monitor is hooked up to the cable box, it works just fine. My laptop is the only computer with hdmi output. Now, when I had the nvidia gtx 460m card in, I had no issues with the HDMI output to the same monitor. So maybe an amd issue?