What processor socket is recommended for a from-scratch build?

rmariej1984

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Hello!

Back in 2009 I built a custom machine. Nothing truly high end but a good solid build using components that were usually the top pick under the outrageously priced top-of-the-line models. I used a i7 920, which at the time was the first processor listed under $500 and a Nvidia 295. That machine still runs perfectly and with a GPU upgrade to a Nvidia GTX 560 TI a few years ago it still runs most games solidly. However I have my tax refund in hand and I'm looking to get this thing back to running all games at top settings again.

My first thought was a new SSD (Samsung's 850 EVO is in my newegg shopping cart at the moment) and a new graphics card (Nvidia 970). However I got to thinking and I'm realizing my CPU is probably more of a bottle neck than the 560. Problem is no one seems to make 1366 sockets anymore.

At this point i'm probably going to end up building a whole new machine. Any recommendations on what socket I should look at? Is the 2011 the way to go now? Or the 1150? Any motherboard recommendations would also be appreciated. I'm trying to keep my budget around 1k and will need a motherboard, cpu, gpu, and my ssd if there is still room in the budget through I'm beginning to think the SSD will have to wait for my mid-year bonus.

talleymj

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
I actually just an upgrade almost exactly like what you are looking to do. Only differences I already had the 850 EVO, but wanted to upgrade my PSU and I was running on an i5-3570K.

After looking at the options, I decided to go with the 1150 socket. From my research, 1150 is newer and the only reason to go with the 2011 is if you (a) need more than 32GB of RAM, (b) need more than 3 graphics cards, or (c) have money to burn. I went with the i7-4790K Processor and the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 MoBo. Adding in the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 I put in, and it is running like a dream. Altogether, including the $170 PSU, that set me back right at $1K. Not sure what SSDs are running at right now, but $170's what you'd be looking to spend on that with this setup and keeping it to $1K

talleymj

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
I wouldn't go to DDR4 just because it's a higher number. Like you said, you'll have to replace everything, a that will make a number of those components more expensive. AnandTech did a fairly exhaustive comparison that showed little change by moving to DDR4 and that the change wasn't always for the better. PCGamer doesn't seem to think that the extra cost is worth small performance gains.

Well the new 5820k beats the old 3930k which would be a fair comparison IMO as the quad cores shouldn't be compared with the new platform just because it's new. 2011 vs 2011-3. They are about the same price today. However, quad core CPU is the sweet spot and not 6 cores and 12 threads so I say go with the 1150 for that reason alone, it's cost effective and enough to use it as a light workstation.

rmariej1984

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I put together a build using 1150 and a build using 2011. Price difference ends up being more or less the cost of the DDR4 which is on sale right now for $149. So now I have to figure out if the difference between a 4790 and 5820 is worth upgrading the RAM. I may end up doing it just so I will have wider upgrade possibilities in a few years when DDR3 is no longer widely available.

Thank you for the suggestoin Tallymj. I basically copied your build for the 1150.