Running dual monitor extended desktop with an HDTV at same time?

ianstewartshouse

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
My work computer is currently running a graphics card (Nvidia NVS 285) with a dvi output. This is connected via a dvi- 2x vga female splitter. One leg of the splitter goes to my desktop monitor (NEC Multisync EX231Wp) and the other leg goes to a 65" lg flatscreen tv. All works well in this setup with duplicate desktop on HDTV for meetings etc.

My question is what do i need to do to have 2 monitors on my desk running extended desktop and the HDTV showing the main desktop picture.

My thoughts were ill connect a vga splitter to one of the legs and attach main desktop and HDTV off it and the other leg of original splitter to monitor for extended desktop. Question is can you split off a splitter? I attached a basic vga splitter but the desk monitor didnt show picture, hense my question to you all!

If not can you all suggest how to get the end result i need?

Thanks

Solution
Found it! http://www.servodata.com.pl/ftp/pny/quadro/Quadro_manual_ENG.pdf , page 10.

The output from that card is a DMS59-pin connector, not a DVI connector. It comes with a splitter cable that breaks it out into two separate channels. So your desktop should currently show two displays duplicating each other, and you can use a different splitter that makes two copies of the same thing on the first leg plus a single display on the second leg.

That "splitter" that came with it is a custom breakout cable, not what I think of as a splitter. I think of something that just makes two identical outputs for the same input.

Let us know if it works. The test I suggested above, in display setup, is a good place to start.
Since you want different images on the two desktop monitors, a splitter will not solve your problem. it would just duplicate the main desktop that is shown on your monitor and the tv. Let me look up your graphics card and see how it supports multiple displays... There is only one output.

Or does the splitter show up as a separate display - I had assumed that your first splitter just copied its input, but if it came from Nvidia it may actually be able to split out two different DVI outputs. You can check that by bringing up your screen configuration. Does it show one screen, or two screens set to show the same thing? If it's only one I think that you are stuck unless you use something like a USB to VGA converter.

If it shows two screens displaying the same thing, set it to extended desktop. If the TV and monitor now show different things you are set; you can use a different kind of splitter to make two copies of the leg that has the main image, and connect the other leg to your second monitor?

---------------------------
Did that make any sense? The key question is whether your existing splitter is duplicating an image or splitting a double-link DVI connector to two independent single-link DVI connections. The card is so old that I can't find the necessary info. Sorry.

Found it! http://www.servodata.com.pl/ftp/pny/quadro/Quadro_manual_ENG.pdf , page 10.

The output from that card is a DMS59-pin connector, not a DVI connector. It comes with a splitter cable that breaks it out into two separate channels. So your desktop should currently show two displays duplicating each other, and you can use a different splitter that makes two copies of the same thing on the first leg plus a single display on the second leg.

That "splitter" that came with it is a custom breakout cable, not what I think of as a splitter. I think of something that just makes two identical outputs for the same input.

Let us know if it works. The test I suggested above, in display setup, is a good place to start.

Solution

ianstewartshouse

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

Thanks for that I didnt explain very well! Currently the splitter fitted is intelligent ie it sees the 2 monitors i can run duplicate or extended, i currently run duplicate but in the new configuration i would run extended. My thought was to keep the current intelligent splitter and connect a normal splitter to one side ( the side which will show the main side of my desktop) this would split to my HDTV and main monitor on my desk. The other side of the intelligent splitter would connect to the desk monitor which is showing extended desktop. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, it's what I was trying to describe. It should work. The "dumb" splitter won't be affected by the fact that it's being fed by the breakout cable.

One experience that I have had in the past with video Y splitters on VGS is that you get dim images unless you use a powered splitter. Your mileage will vary.

ianstewartshouse

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Tried as you said the picture using the dumb splitter has a blue tinge on 1 screen and a pink tinge on the other but it did work!

Can you suggest if a powered splitter would resolve that and if you think so suggst a type?

Thanks
Ian