Gigabit Network Test - Homemade Cat6 Cables

wpervaiz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Hi guys, I'm laying Ethernet cable in my house, and instead of paying a costly contractor to do it, I decided to go down the DIY road.

I'm using CAT6 cable (with Baynet connectors) and have successfully terminated and tested the wire. However, I can't seem to get Gigabit speeds when connecting two computers (even directly). The file transfer starts at ~200MB/sec and then drops down to around 20MB/sec and settles there (see screenshot for details).

To test, I bought a pre-made CAT6 and a CAT5 patch cord. All three cables give me around the same results. So I'm wondering: where/when will I see the benefit of CAT6? And how do I get Gigabit speeds? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

http://s22.postimg.org/ijblmqe1d/cat6_1.png

host images

I had a somewhat similar problem myself. For months I was doing P2P file sharing and one day my upload speed dropped to 9-10.5KB/sec per connection. I normally can upload at about 5,000KB/sec total, even on a single connection. I thought What the...? So I tried a USB Wireless-N dongle and it went 130Mb/sec. Hmmm... Faster, and it maxed-out the wireless-n speed.

The Fix: I downloaded newer drivers for my NIC, installed, and now it's back to full speed all the way around.

I don't know what made it slow down, per connection, but it works great again now. I advise updating drivers to your network device and cross your fingers.

wpervaiz

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
so i can assume that my cat6 cable is terminated correctly, and will establish a gigabit connection, right?