[Build log] mini-ITX Middle School student build 02

This is a new Middle School high-end gaming build being given as a gift. It will be built in one day or over a weekend and so I doubt I will have time to take the usual photos. There are few 'new' parts other then the GPU and PSU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($362.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($25.48 @ Newegg)
Total: $1131.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 17:54 EDT-0400

Considerably more expensive than the usual builds, mostly due to the GTX 970.

8vvypg.jpg

The total cost with rebates was $1065 at the time of purchase.

I will include this in my list of builds and get benchmarks for it. Any things in particular anyone would like to see?

After an intense Weekend of gaming, the owner has made the following observations:

1. The GPU runs too hot. It ran at high load for my benchmarking at about 72C. The user has applied a 15% overclock and it gets over 80. I suggested more fans, but they don't want to do that because:

2. The GPU will not deliver a great gaming experience on their 1080p display (I was very surprised by this) What I discovered is that their '1080p' display is actually 3 x 27" 144hz 1080p monitors, so the GPU is really driving 3K and at high or ultra details, it is struggling to reach 60fps.

So after a week or so of use they plan to upgrade to a GTX 980! Their money, their choice.

I blame myself a little for not checking on the ' 27" 1080p display' they told me that they were going to use, more.

What do I know. Maybe they don't know what they are talking about. I assume that they will overclock the 980 also. I have my money and I tried to dissuade them from that card in the first place, so I'm good with it.

The limiting factor may be the CPU. 144Hz at 3x 1080p is going to be tough for an i5 4460, I think.

I just wish I had known about the 3x 1080p AND the 144Hz. Those monitors can't be cheap either.

What a day.

My birthday.
Someone kicked in our front door, undeterred by our five dogs, and stole a bunch of stuff, but NOT this computer and screen.

A package and a note appeared on my desk at school. 'Thanks for everything you do, and all the help you have given ********'
The package contained a lightly used Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini. The best present I have received in a long time.

Dam, sorry about the stolen items, but hey, was the 970 the one in the build?

Yes.

The thieves were idiots. (I guess if they had a brain, they'd be doing something else) Took cheapish flashy costume jewelry and a couple of gold watches and rings, but left a lot of coins, notes, stamps, and other stuff.

That's what insurance is for.

blue_smoke

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

sucks :( and a 6th grader that currently has a 980 in a rig that's brand new while I'm a high school senior working at jack in the box trying to get money for a car and a 1500 dollar setup. smh...

At private school some busy parents substitute money for attention and presence.

This is the gift that keeps on giving.

The owner got a GTX980ti for Xmas so they can run their monitor configuration.

I have a box with a slightly used reference GTX 980 on my desk, with a note giving more thanks. I hope they did not overclock all the goodie out of it, but even so. I'll take it :) :)

I'll rearrange my configuration eventually, retire the GTX750ti which has served me well on this machine, and replace it with my 'old' GTX 970, and put the 'new' GTX 980 in the Research machine (powered now by an i7 4790K which I have overclocked to 4.8Ghz, but will run closer to 4.6Ghz)