Looking for a new printer

justpassingthrough

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
I'm in the market for a new printer due to my current one(Samsung CLP-310) finally being on its last legs. Partially due to lack of ink, but also because it's just been acting up a lot(extremely frequent paper jams, toner seeming to be mixed into the inside of the printer itself).

1. What is your printer budget? What is your country of origin?
I would prefer to spend between $50-$100 if possible. I'm in the United States.
2. Preferred Brand(s)
Canon
3. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
HP(printer didn't seem to last long), Samsung(see above)
4. How many pages do you print per day?
Varies, but I do not do a heavy printing on a regular basis.
5. Do you want your printer to perform other functions (scanning / copying / fax)?
I have a separate scanner, but I would like a printer that can do it to for convenience.
6. Preferred website for printer (eg Newegg / Tiger Direct, etc)?
Amazon and Newegg are were I usually shop, but I'm not opposed to other markets.
7. Do you want your printer to have WiFi capability?
Yes. Another person in the house has a laptop that I would like to be able to also have access to the printer.
8. Do you want your printer to have full color or black and white?
Full color.
9. How much do you currently spend on ink/toner?
Currently none due to not wanting to "waste" money on current broken printer.
10. Do you print high quality or high resolution documents or photographs?
The printer is for home use, and most of what is printed are text documents, with the occasional picture or map for directions. However I am a graphic design major and would like a printer that can offer some decent quality should I need to print something that looks good(mostly Photoshop work).

Thanks.

See if the Pixma iP7220 is available.

For $50 you will get junk, you need to be in the $100 range if you want a decent printer, anything around $50 will very likely not last a year.
If you can afford it, go up to about $200 to the business range models, those are often built with better quality part, longer lasting, less jamming.

Bookjunky

Reputable
May 8, 2014
I am also looking for a printer. I know I do not want an HP product after them not updating a 2 year old printer to work with windows 8 coupled with their inability to provide a restore disk for a friends 18 month old computer - no he did not make a restore thumb drive.

I want the ability to scan and print and so not need to fax

Don't mean to hijack a thread but I really am looking for a printer and this looked like a good place to ask.

WiFi would be nice

Most of my printing is done in black and white but color ability is also needed.
That said I would like to be able to buy generic or recycled cartridges to fit.