New monitor: thoughts (1080p, 60/144hz, tn/ips)

hairydruidy

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
The last couple of days I have been reading reviews all over the Internet to find out what's better about certain monitors and what different types there are.

Things I read about:
tn/ips (gaming/reduced lag vs better colours/ photo editing)
60/144 hz: if you get more than 60fps go for 144hz (no screen tearing or whatever)
ips glow effects (is this still an issue with newer monitors?)
input lag (is 1/2 ms really needed)

background & current gear:
I have always had 2 screens (I'm a programmer, and when I game I usually like to watch something on youtube as well). I mainly play mmorpgs or single player games (any good titles, except for cs/cod stuff)
My oldest LCD flat screen (which was still 10 cm thick) got replaced with an LG Flatron e2531 LED for 1080p support. The old screen was set up as my 2nd monitor. About 3 months ago the old one kind of blew up. (It started making noices, smelling and smoking)

So, my current LG is a tn panel 5ms input 1080p 60hz. I play a lot of games but I am nowhere near a pro hardcore gamer. Back in the days I read reviews for this LG and been happy about it ever since.

I guess I'll have to mention that I have a gaming pc setup and an asus r9 290 cu II oc as a graphic card.

Budget
Preferably less than 200 euro (150£)

Requirements (or rather difficulties)
I don't really know what kind of monitor I want. I have been looking at both tn and ips panels. I don't really want a monitor solely for gaming so I guess I'll lean more towards ips panels.
23/24 inch
If this second monitor ends up being better than my primary current LG one, I will use it as a primary monitor to game on.
As a casual gamer and movie/serie fanatic I would prefer really nice looking colours and lots of details in dark environments. The latter I find a bit lacking in my current monitor.

Possible monitors:
LG 24MP55HQ-P (+- 150 euro) (ips, 1080p, 5 ms, 72% Gamut, 60hz)
Dell Ultrasharp U2414H (+- 200 euro) (ips, 1080p, 8ms, 85% Gamut, 60hz) (3xusb charging and 1x upstream port, not sure if that is really an additional need, afterall, I have a pc right next to me)
Asus PB238Q (200 euro) (ips 1080p, 6ms, 60hz) (adjustable stand)
Asus VG248QE (+- 300 euro). (tn, 1080p, 1ms, 72% gamut). Above my price range really. But just posting it here incase people think it is really worth getting this one
I read about the benq rl2455 but some of the reviews said it was a tournament professional no lag screen, but that the colours weren't quite as good. Again, I don't need a 1m screen. When I looked it up before, it said anything around 5 ms is good enough for a casual gamer.

questions
Is a 2k resolution really that much better? (I have never played on a 27" screen, but it just seems too big) for me)
Is a 144hz really worth it? (I read about people not being able to go back to 60hz. I am however still used to 60hz, so not an issue for me I guess).
Which of the suggested monitors above would you guys recommend? Or do you have a totally different one in mind? Let me know! (keep in mind, once suggested, I will read reviews for another night to make sure I really want to buy it.)

If this second monitor ends up being better than my primary current LG one, I will use it as a primary monitor to game on. I hope this is the case tbh, I really like a nice upgrade when I buy something new.

Primary: games + movies
Secondary: youtube while gaming, 2nd coding screen, browsing net while coding on prim

I know it's a lot of text, but thank you for reading through it if you did. Please give a guy some advice :p

Greetings

Xavier

Update: I do not plan to use eyefinity or any sort to make a 2k res out of both screens. The border in the middle caused by my current screen will be most disturbing. They are solely just to have 2 screens, nothing more. If I ever go the 2k route it will be on a 2k/4k supportive screen

hairydruidy

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks, I figured that would be the way to go out of all the screens I posted for gaming, but it is still above my price range. I don't really need a gaming only monitor as I do watch a lot of movies, series, do some illustrator/photoshop work once in a while. Hence why I am leaning a bit more towards ips. A 100 euro difference is still a lot for me as I'm still a student.

As an update to everyone, leaning more towards the Asus PB238Q, out of all the ips screens I posted. Just need a little push to be more convinced. It already has more extra options out of all of them (usb, adjustable stand, things I didn't really look for, but it is there). I just want to make sure about the actual display/color/details in black quality